RAW and JPEG: The truth is out there

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Same archaic camera (great piece of kit) and actually use iPhoto that also does not alter the original DNG.
I then use DNG converter to encapsulate in TIFF lossless compression (5.2 Mb so pretty little) before importing in iPhoto
You can then save your edits either in TIFF 16 bit (55 Mb per image) for printing or Jpeg

I have a now almost archaic Canon A570is point and shoot that I use almost exclusively under water. I installed the CHDK hack and invoked the option to save everything in DNG format (plus the default JPG format which is automatically saved too). All the DNG files are copied onto my computer and loaded into Lightroom and the JPGs discarded. White balance, some sharpening and some cropping are done in LR, but remember that LR makes zero changes to the original DNG files. It only saves a text file documenting the edits I made from within LR. I can return to the original DNG at any time and play with it however I wish, including invoking PS to make more advanced edits. I'm a big fan of LR because it both serves as a massive, searchable library of all my photos and a fairly potent editor, all without changing the original DNG.

The only thing i can say is shotting raw can save you photography dive. there was a situation where my strobe ran out of batteries and after that i saw a damm big octopus. So i shot pictures of him in RAW and Jpeg obviously they were BLUE as the sky... back on the computer i restored the colors on Light Room and OMG nice moment and good picture thanks to RAW....

but i have one question, when i shoot RAW with Strobe the lights of the strobe seems to be RED, can it be fixed? i am kind of new in post processing.

buton: it depends, but probably yes. The camera has set white balance based on the limited red available under water, then you get a shot with plenty of light so the red is high. Just a matter of white balancing.

Since you are shooting in raw changing the white balance is easily achieved without losing data. JPG could also change the balance but it is not optimal.

buton: it depends, but probably yes. The camera has set white balance based on the limited red available under water, then you get a shot with plenty of light so the red is high. Just a matter of white balancing.

Since you are shooting in raw changing the white balance is easily achieved without losing data. JPG could also change the balance but it is not optimal.

i am gonna try doing white balance on one of those pictures, i will let you know..

The only thing i can say is shotting raw can save you photography dive. there was a situation where my strobe ran out of batteries and after that i saw a damm big octopus. So i shot pictures of him in RAW and Jpeg obviously they were BLUE as the sky... back on the computer i restored the colors on Light Room and OMG nice moment and good picture thanks to RAW....

but i have one question, when i shoot RAW with Strobe the lights of the strobe seems to be RED, can it be fixed? i am kind of new in post processing.

I see you have less than 24 dives so I am guessing you haven't shot a lot of pictures. Do you mean all of your photos shot with your strobe (the part of the picture that the strobe lights up) are looking red?

Perhaps it's the speed he's traveling at, causing redshift.

If that's the case, I want to know what fins he's using.

(astronomer joke btw)

i mean my JPEGs looks good with the strobe lighting all colorfull well exposed... but if i let picasa to automatically process the RAW, they come out kind of red.. if i let picasa process a picture taken without the strobe it comes good..

i will mess around with light room to see what picasa is doing wrong..

well picasa did the raw to jpeg conversion with wrong white balance
Then much of the point of RAW is gone. When using RAW files you should add the tweaks you want to the raw file BEFORE saving it as jpeg, not let some program make the jpeg for you..

Back
Top Bottom