Ratings for Hawaiian Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSeanMaui

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I found this article on Nationalgeographic traveler section. here's what they say about Hawaii:

Hawaii (Big Island)
Score: 67

"My favorite of the Hawaiian chain—live volcanoes, rare birds, forest and waterfall hikes, well-presented Hawaiian and settler history, high standard of agritourism, and a wide range of small-scale, locally owned historic and contemporary accommodations achieve near-perfection on much of the island outside Kona." "Variety of tourist landscapes: chic in Kona, rustic in Hilo, and down home in Waimea. Many beautiful facilities, but in danger of becoming too touristy." "Growth in the Kailua-Kona area getting out of hand. Development threatens coastal areas, marine habitat, and historic Hawaiian cultural sites.""It is difficult to find out much about native Hawaiians, They seem to have been marginalized." "Far from the crowded Oahu, the development of a more authentic and sustainable tourism is becoming a reality."

Kauai, Hawaii
Score: 64

"One of the most beautiful places in the United States. High ecological quality, historic plantation towns, mission churches, and tremendous scenic beauty, but in danger of being 'loved to death.' " "Locals are being priced out of existence. Uninformed tourists show lack of respect for sacred heiaus, private land, and traditional family salt ponds and farms." "Little interpretation of Hawaiian culture except in terms of luaus and hulas. Major massacres, labor problems, and the domination by United States interests important, but hushed up." "Nowhere prettier, but 'Kauai mosquitoes,' i.e., sightseeing helicopters, spoil hikes on the Na Pali coast with their industrial noise."

Maui, Hawaii
Score: 57

"Attractive physical landscapes, including Haleakala and beautiful white-sand beaches. Highest quality resorts in the Hawaiian chain. It is also a cultural center with high-quality cultural and arts performances." "An undervalued historical and cultural destination. Great natural beauty. However, hotel development and consequent traffic are a serious problem." "Much of Maui remains environmentally sound, however, the resort destinations and related beaches are severely impacted. Coral reefs have been damaged beyond repair. Preservation has been too little, too late. Maui was a spectacular island that has been overrun with excessive tourism development in a matter of just 30 years." "A pity more reasonable accommodation is not available for the Hana region. It's the most Polynesian part of the island and could do with some community-based tourism to help an economically depressed region."

Molokai, Hawaii
Score: 79

"Hiking in fabulous forests and ocean kayaking in the protection of cliffs and coral reefs—definitely an island for the physically active. The leper colony site is a challenge to visit, but a great piece of the island's history." "A step back to the real Hawaii. The pace was slow and locals would sit and chat with the tourists. Open to telling their story." "More than 60 percent of the population are native Hawaiians interested in preserving their heritage, homesteads, and family values. Many prefer to live on a subsistence level. Under these circumstances, they are resentful of and oppose tourist developments. Better to just leave the island alone."

Oahu, Hawaii
Score: 46

"With one million inhabitants and five million tourists a year, Oahu is a small island of very intense human occupation. Outside Honolulu, the island landscape is more authentic, with mountains, agriculture, small communities, nice beaches, and tremendous waves." "Greater Honolulu is jam-packed with people, traffic jams, and smog. The revamping of Waikiki is a big improvement, but something needs to be done about the mega-hotels—30-story high-rises are a blight on the Hawaiian landscape." "Experiences of 'true' Hawaiian culture are lacking. Tourist experiences are part of well-oiled, commercialized machine." "Oahu is heavily built and commercialized. Remaining natural areas are superb and well maintained. Although the ambience of Waikiki area is great, the beach itself is a disaster and one of the world's great tourist anticlimaxes. Diamond Head is excellent. The big negative of Oahu is that indigenous culture has been trivialized and commercialized. Hawaii and its tourist authority are to their great credit well aware of the problem and working to ensure that the outlook will be positive."

here is the full article:

Destinations Rated: Islands @ National Geographic Traveler

Sean

That article has a stronger eco tone than what I remembered from that magazine's past issues. If you look at a bunch of the reviews it's obvious they are not at all concerned with cruise ship advertising money. :no

Other than the population/tourist numbers for Oahu, their statements are hard to argue with. If they had said an ave. daily population of 1.5 mil (or whatever it is), my post would have been half as long. :14:

"Greater Honolulu is jam-packed with people, traffic jams, and smog.
Smog??? Maybe in his overheated rhetoric, but that is where NG has drifted these days: from splendid natural photography and travelogues, to blatant advocacy. But otherwise, yeah, Honolulu has major problems.

Although the ambience of Waikiki area is great, the beach itself is a disaster and one of the world's great tourist anticlimaxes.
Well heck, I thought it was an anticlimax when I first saw it in 1968, no news there. And they can "revamp" Waikiki all they want, it is still a stiflingly hot concrete jungle. At least Japanese tourists love the place, so little will change.

Went to Kauai last weekend and it was a major step back to what Hawaii was.

I questioned the smog issue on Oahu years ago until seeing a photo from Makakilo (where I grew up) that was taken in the mid/late 60's. I could not believe how much further you could see in the photo and how much clearer the air was. I'd chalk it up to Vog, but even on the clearest of days it's no where near as clear as it once was. Still for a big city it's not that bad either, the trades keep everything pretty nice and fresh around the state. Course maybe our best days are still full of Vog (hard to believe even a million people could put as much smoke into the air as one nice size volcano a couple hundred miles away)

Aloha, Tim

P.S I dove over one of the, as of late publisized, "damaged" reefs on Maui this morning and saw very little dead reef (North of Airport Beach)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom