Rate/Review my set-up (please)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaRambo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Being new to the sport, but loving it, I feel the need to get my own gear. I've tried and tested many different set-ups, but it is kinda coming down to more what is within my price range. Being a broke college student, this range is VERY limited (roughly $650)
That being said, I've got it narrowed down a bit, and am politefully requesting the assistance of SB to give me any additional wisdom they may have:

BCD - I think I'm going to have to go with the Mares Pegasus. I like the hybrid design, integrated weight system, I've only heard good reviews, and diving with it was glorious compared to diving with a jacket
(Roughly $320 at LDS)
Gauges - I am probably going to end up with the generic Tusa (or other fairly inexpensive) brand of Gauge...I don't feel like I need a computer right now, I actually like working with the tables and figuring them out on my own
Octopus - Again, just a fairly generic (but suited to cold water diving, thank you Central Coast California)

With these in mind (as I'm pretty well decided on the BCD/Gauges/Octopus), here is how the price breaks down at the LDS:
The above with a XS Scuba Sea-Air Reg --> Just about $750
The above with a Mares Ranger 12 --> Just about $600
The above with a Cressi-Sub Ellipse AC10 --> Just about $650

My basic questions are: 1) How do you feel about the above set-up (mid-line BC, cheap gauges, decent Reg) and 2) Which of the Regs do you think I should go for, or do you have a better idea for the Reg? Like I said above, Central Coast Cali can get fairly cold (not Arctic, mind you), so I would definitely need something that is rated for that.

Thanks in advance everyone!

given the budget, I would look at buying piecewise. Get the gear that you need up front and buy that. Meaning, if you can't rent a good BCD, buy that, if you can't rent a decent reg, buy that.

I see that your LDS must be a Mares dealer, have you looked into the Aeris Atmos LX BCD or tried the Zeagle line of regs, both are good budget friendly items that will serve you well.

That of course doesn't mention getting a good used BCD or gauges. I don't like buying used regs but even they can be found. Ebay is full of good deals, Craigslist is great too as you can work with the person, even have it checked or serviced before you buy.

<snip>Gauges - I am probably going to end up with the generic Tusa (or other fairly inexpensive) brand of Gauge...I don't feel like I need a computer right now, I actually like working with the tables and figuring them out on my own<snip>

Good for you!:lotsalove: And the tables don't need batteries.

As for regulators, stay away from the bells and whistles, they help marketing, not you. A good used, preferably environmentally sealed, regulator will save you a lot of money. Look at what the Tech divers are using. They usually go for quality and reliability rather than flash.

If you're on a budget, you can't beat buying used. Give yourself a few months to put everything you need together, and find an experienced diver in the SLO area to help and clue you in on where to look for deals (local diving mailing lists, forums, craigslist, etc.). You'll probably save yourself at least 50% of what you budgeted for buying new.

It'll be tougher if you're dead set on a particular brand/model of equipment, but for the most part, good dive gear is good dive gear.

Part of me simply doesn't trust buying used...I know there is some great equipment out there available for a steal, but there's also quite a bit of shoddy stuff, and with something that my life kinda depends on, I don't want to take much of a chance. I am *fingers crossed* going to grad school next year, and probably will only be diving roughly 8 dives a year when that happens...to me, this justifies buying decent but lower end equipment that will get me by for the next couple of years with limited dives until I graduate from grad school and can get a decent job that will allow me to buy some good gear (plus who knows what crazy gear we're going to have in four years!)
Any thoughts on this?

Part of me simply doesn't trust buying used...I know there is some great equipment out there available for a steal, but there's also quite a bit of shoddy stuff, and with something that my life kinda depends on, I don't want to take much of a chance. I am *fingers crossed* going to grad school next year, and probably will only be diving roughly 8 dives a year when that happens...to me, this justifies buying decent but lower end equipment that will get me by for the next couple of years with limited dives until I graduate from grad school and can get a decent job that will allow me to buy some good gear (plus who knows what crazy gear we're going to have in four years!)
Any thoughts on this?

buy new, they can use your money.

Actually I just bought the Mares Pegasus because of the good reveiws. Used a Seaquest balance for the last 12 years. I was looking for a travel BC and this has a lot of good stuff with no frills. As far as regs I myself wont buy used. I've been using the Mares Abyss for ever it seems. No frills. But it keeps on ticking. Octo use an air source if you can afford it. Mine is 9 years old and over 500 dives at least I finally had to get it completely rebuilt. Just remember price isnt everthing but quality for you money is. Why buy too cheap and replace it twice for one that costs a little more that wil last and last and last.b Good luck. Hope you find what your looking for.

Any thoughts on this?

I think the whole "It's life support equipment" hard sell from the LDS is overrated....

Oh and there are some hard sells out there.

I've always wanted to ask the salesman/instructor "If this gear is so valuable what's the resale value on this stuff?"

Find what you like on the net, and then go to your LDS and ask how close they could come if they would sell you a package. You may be surprised how they might make a deal - my LDS would.

Craigslist is a great place. I just bought a extra set of dive boots (Deep Sea, 6.5mm) for $20 tonight. He also had snorkel, masks, and fins, which I did not buy. He was a poor college student. I actually tried to talk him out of selling them. I told him, if he changed his mind I'd sell them back to him for the same price.

I have bought a couple of reg sets from Craigslist - even with the guy who lied to me about them being recently rebuilt, I got a good deal after my LDS worked on them. Now these were classic Aqualung Conshelfs that I've used before. Can't really go wrong with regs such as these. Know what you are looking for and then look for them on Craigslists. Oh, if the deal is too good to be true, and the guy knows nothing about diving - don't buy them, they are stolen!!!!

But some people are upgrading, or are liquidating because of loss of interest, or selling because they really need the money or health reasons. You can really get some good deals.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom