Rarely Dive - Do I need LED?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ElvisC

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I haven't dived in years but am going for a week to Bonaire in October. I thought I would take a night diving class and try it for the first time. Princeton Tec sets run $99 for a traditional light set but $170 for an LED set. Does LED really make that big of a difference that I need to spend the bucks even though I don't dive much? Thanks.

I haven't dived in years but am going for a week to Bonaire in October. I thought I would take a night diving class and try it for the first time. Princeton Tec sets run $99 for a traditional light set but $170 for an LED set. Does LED really make that big of a difference that I need to spend the bucks even though I don't dive much? Thanks.

Elvis,
If you don't plan on using it much afterwards, I would not spend the extra money. However, Bonaire has some of the best night diving I've ever seen and you might just get hooked on it and decide to do more of it. One of the great benefits of LED is the extended battery life but you can buy a lot of batteries for the extra 70 bucks. That's just my 2 cents but I'm sure someone out there will find an argument to splurge and spend the extra money. By the way, my first light was an Underwater Kinetics 8-c cell which has dual bulbs. If one burns out, just flip the switch to activate the backup. And you can get it for around 50 bucks. I now have an HID light but my wife still uses the Underwater Kinetics light. On a side note, this light only works with Duracell batteries.

Underwater Kinetics Sunlight "C8" Dive Light with Pistol Grip from LeisurePro.com

A couple more things to consider: in Bonaire, you are expected to take your used batteries back home to dispose of them. And they do not allow those disposable light-sticks. I'm not sure if this was just where we stayed (Carib Inn) or if it's an island rule.

Hope that helps. Have fun in Bonaire.

Fred

The water is so clear in Bonaire that a standard halogen or xenon bulb will provide more than enough light. The benefits of LED are a more natural light and the battery life. If you will be doing infrequent night dives than the benefits may not out way the costs. For me personally, all the flash lights I use are LED diving or for around the house.

Back
Top Bottom