Rare Whale Shighting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Semita

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello Board,

Just got back from diving in the Sapotillo Keys (Honduras and Belize) and wanted to share an experience which was amazing!!!!

It was about 10:00am and we were half way to the Sapotillos Keys in Belize. We were coming from Cortes, Honduras working our way North East to the Keys. One of the boat crew pointed out something up ahead ad yelled out "Sail Fish". As we got closer and closer we viewed a big grey "thing" that was emerging from the water. We first believed it was a whale shark as those are common in the area but as we got closer and closer we were amazed as we saw that it was a WHALE!!!! a huge 35-45 feet, grey, beautiful and amazing whale.... YES a freaking whale!!!!

we got to almost 15-20 feet away and it parralled the boat. We were able to take two quick pictures (which I will share as soon as they send them to me) and a small video.

I have to tell you....we had some experienced people in the boat and none of them had seen a whale in that part of Honduras- Belize waters.

As we all gathered our thougts some people mentioned that it look like a Sperm Whale....there were three things I remember clearly...the color which was a shinny and dark grey, a hump towards the end and a big head.

I looked up Sperm whales on the internet and they look very very very similar to what we viewed today.......the weird thing is that those are not commonly seen around these waters.

After it passed besides the boat it took a quick dive and swam away....

The experience was incredible...I am still stunned. If anyone can validate the fact that these wales are seen on this areas please let me know.

All I can say is WOW!! You are lucky to see something that rare in those waters, maybe a confused or sick whale. I heard of a pod of Orca killer whales spotted some years ago passing through the Gulf of Mexico. Who can explain these mysteries??
Please post the video ASAP, looking forward to seeing it!

You lucky duck! I remember reading about people spotting a sperm whale off Utila a year or 2 back, or at least thinking that's what they'd seen. Good for you!

Still waiting for the video and the two pictures....they are not very clear but talking to the rest of the crew we are almost certain it was a Sperm Whale...

Also found the article of a sighting in Utila back in March of 2006.

I am very excited about this experience....it was amazing!!! and we got really really close to it...

http://www.aboututila.com/Utila-East-Wind/2006-03/index.htm

Attached is the picture taken...

Whale Belize Feb 07.JPG

Back
Top Bottom