Rare swimaster wide view mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike Lev

Contributor
Reaction score
A friend of mine won this today on ebay. I passed on it. Neither of us has ever seen one before. A AMF Swimaster yellow wide view. It doesn't have wide view printed on it. But it sure looks like one. I checked some of my catalogs no luck. Has anyone ever see one before?

?
$(KGrHqV,!lUFBfluLJF7BQdkbnO)s!~~60_57.JPG

Excellent find! I wonder whether the mask was designed around 1960, when a lot of diving equipment suddenly appeared in yellow, partly to alleviate the dullness of black and partly for safety reasons.To provide a point of comparison, here's a Swimaster wide-view mask ad from the Skin Dising History site at
http://www.skindivinghistory.com/mfg_retailers/s/Swimaster/07.jpg

Attachments

• 07.jpg
    07.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 389
Hello David I would think that one came out in the 70's. It has AMF on it. I don't think it has a scew type band either. He got a good score.

the mask was designed around 1960, when a lot of diving equipment suddenly appeared in yellow, partly to alleviate the dullness of black

We could use some alleviation from the dullness of black now if you ask me.

That mask could be reintroduced today minus the purge and inset with a nice nose pinch and it would be styl'n in mellow yellow.

N

Never seen on in yellow. My favorite mask. Huge purge never leaks or jams, the nose block inside compresses against your nose and as you equalize the mask you clear your ears ... truly an excellent hands off procedure. Best mask ever made. I need another (in black).

Mike, I note that your yellow Swimaster Wide View mask has an updated skirt, and not the original neoprene skirt. This probably means that it is later, in the late 1960s in my mind.

SeaRat

PS: I just looked at my old catalogs, and found in the 1979 AMF Voit Swimaster Professional Dive Gear and Recreational Swim Equipment catalog this description:
2M35 Swamaster Wide View Mask -
The pro's workhorse. Fast, one-way clearing with a large exhaust valve. Neoprene sponge seal for superior comfort and fit. Unique shape provides minimal displacement. Excellent for use with corrective lenses.

Attachments

• AMF Swimaster Wide View Mask.jpg
    AMF Swimaster Wide View Mask.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 395
There is a lot lot more to this mask series than has been posted...There were a number of models, produced by an equl number of manufactures..

David Wilson..note yours is by PMP, John Ratliff's was marketed by Voit, and the yellow model even later by still another company.

By the way John conducted a great test on this mask on another board

Thalassamania..recall when you were attempting to purchase a Wide View from me and I keep asking what model...You kept repling Wide View....Ikeep inquireing what model? They all appear to be idenical but there were considerable differences with each manufacture...like the older VWs

I don't have the time to go in to detail but will when I have more time possibly next week..

SDM

The mask isn't mine. I friend of mine won it.He hasn't recieve it yet. He has been collecting for a long time also. Neither of us or anyone else I know has seen one before.
All I know is what I see. It has AMF Voit on the mask. I thought it was interesting that's all. Maybe it was made or sold in Europe or overseas somewhere?

Last edited:
I was (am) looking for the 2M35 illustrated above.

They show up on ebay time to time. I don't have an extra to sell. There is a dreamer that has one on ebay starting at $150. What a joke.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom