Rare Sighting in Perdido Key

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seadoggirl

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
No it wasn't a sober local.....:D it was a Ragged Sea Hare. If you have the Reef Creature Id book, page 293. We were cleaning the boat and saw five of them under the pier. I spent an hour laying on the dock with head hanging over the side watching these rare things. They have hair like skin with soft bodies with black and brown spots. My book says that they are uncommon for Florida. They crawl across the sand with tentacles out in front of them and eye tentacles on the top of their heads. They were about eight inchs long and four inches wide. I've lived in this area almost all my life and have never seen one of these cool guys. I didn't have a camera, but when Capt Tim went back today,they were gone. I wanted to pick one up but being the good girl that I am, I left it alone. Actually Capt Tim told me that it would probably sting me and I would die. So I left it alone. It was totally cool. I love living on the coast!:14:

Very cool find! They do look danerous, I wouldn't have tried to touch it. :)

Michael

seadoggirl:
I've lived in this area almost all my life and have never seen one of these cool guys.

Only because you're afraid to get your gear sandy :D Come beach dive with us, you'll see all kinds of cool stuff.

Nudibranch.jpg

I took that shot at Pensacola Beach Reef, there were literally hundreds(maybe thousands?) of them. I come across them pretty often :D

Yeah its that time of year. These guys show up first. We will soon start to see the regualr Sea Hares through the first half of summer. I think they like the pink algea that grows on everything. Its also a sign the water is going to warm up pretty quick. Yeehaw no more drysuit.

Lots of the pink/yellow nudis already showing up to munch on the purple algae too. More than I've seen in the past few years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom