Ranger + Twin tank mount - Silly question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

raider11

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I was going for the Stilleto but my local dealer offered me a great price on the Ranger, so I´m picking it up this saturday. After going through the manual I have a doubt.

When you use the twin tank mounting plates and bolts it seems that the wing nuts and the border of the small plates goes on the side of the BC that is in contact with my back. Is it unconfortable? does it hurt? will it cut my wetsuit? Or Am I missing something?

When using a full BP the shape of it keep the wing nuts away from my back and it doesn´t have those sharp small edges pressing on me, so it´s ok, but what happens with the small mounting plates?

I´m sure I´m getting something wrong and my question is silly so thanks in advance for the feedback.

Excuse my english but my writting skills sucks.

There's a back pad so you shouldn't feel anything. The brackets may keep it from pressing on the BC. I have not tried doubles on my Ranger, so I'm only guessing.

I too was planning on the Stiletto and got a great deal on the Ranger. You'll be happy with it.

I have an LTD. It has a lumbar pad sewn in. The grommets that the plates/wingnuts mount up against are underneath it.

If you're buying a regular Ranger, I recommend the optional lumbar pad, even if you never dive doubles. My buddy tried mine and bought one for his soon after.

Watch this video. Near the end just before they start the BP installation part, there's a quick shot of the guy folding the standard pad over the lower mounting point. The top one still seems exposed though... http://zeaglecom.web.siteprotect.net/videos/Doubles-256.wmv
The guy in the video only has a t-shirt on when he's shaking it around at the end. So I'm sure it's a non-issue.

The mounting plates fit into the space between the tanks. They go into this space far enough that they can not touch your back even if you don't use the back pad. On 2nd thoughts, some bands, unlike mine have a bridging piece that might not let the plates sit far enough in.

My advice would be that if you are using a soft pack for doubles don't get bands with the bridge.

Personally, for a little extra money you could buy a BP and use the Ranger wing. Not THAT big of a deal to switch the wing from one to the other. But I would bet that it would be a lot easier diving doubles with the plate.

Thanks everyone for the answers.

Steve, the video is great, very helpfull. The lower wingnut it´s not a problem under the padding and the upper one doesn´t press to much on the back, the most pressure ir on the lumbar area. I´m planning to get the lumbar pad.

About the BP/W, It was one of my options, but I won´t be doing any tech courses for a long time, and when I do them it´ll be just for the knowledge and for rec diving. I´m not interested in serious cave or wreck diving but it´s good to know that in case I need it I can mount doubles on the Ranger, if it gets any serious I plan moving to BP/W. Just got my OW cert and need to dive and learn a lot, get my AOW, EFR, Rescue, etc. I think the Ranger will be enough for me at this point and it can always be an organ donner for a future BP :)

Because the back section of the Ranger isn't rigid, the twin cylinder mounting plates will be drawn into the double tank bands, and away from your body.

Even without the pad, the bolts will not touch your back in any way....that I can assure you - cause the guy in that video is me.

:wink:

Small world Scott... The BC show no blood when mounting the BP so I have to take your word that the plates don´t hurt your back (and the fact that you wouldn´t sell any if they do) :wink:

The small plates mounts look really firm.

P.D.: Are there more videos like this one and the ripcord re threading?

About the BP/W, It was one of my options, but I won´t be doing any tech courses for a long time, and when I do them it´ll be just for the knowledge and for rec diving. I´m not interested in serious cave or wreck diving but it´s good to know that in case I need it I can mount doubles on the Ranger, if it gets any serious I plan moving to BP/W. Just got my OW cert and need to dive and learn a lot, get my AOW, EFR, Rescue, etc. I think the Ranger will be enough for me at this point and it can always be an organ donner for a future BP :)

BP/W aren't just tec. I know several OW divers that dive them. They have no care to move into AOW.

Hey Scott, do you ever reply to your PM's?

Back
Top Bottom