Ranger & Backplate - How & Why

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SanFranDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
In the Zeagle BC Owners Manual (online PDF File) it states on Page 12 that to mount a backplate onto an Ranger or Ranger LTD "it may require modification of built-in Lumbar Pads".

1. Now, if I read the specs correctly, an LTD has a permanently affixed lumbar pad. So what kind of a mod would be required?

2. Do you use a backplate ONLY for Double Tanks?

3. I also believe that I read you can attach doubles to a Ranger without a backplate, so what's the benefit of using a backplate?

4. Is there any benefit to a backplate with a single tank?

(Note: My questions relate only to a BP with the Ranger, not a typical BP/W configuration)

Last edited:
In the Zeagle BC Owners Manual (online PDF File) it states on Page 12 that to mount a backplate onto an Ranger or Ranger LTD "it may require modification of built-in Lumbar Pads".

1. Now, if I read the specs correctly, an LTD has a permanently affixed lumbar pad. So what kind of a mod would be required?

NCAA - no clue at all

No, singles or doubles.

3. I also believe that I read you can attach doubles to a Ranger without a backplate, so what's the benefit of using a backplate?

A rigid mounting for the cylinders/harness. Though some might use a Ranger with doubles I would not. I took my ranger wing and mounted it on my back plate. Then I sold my ranger and got a wing with a center panel.

Yes, the back plate is my "weight belt" also the rigidity of the plate keeps the cylinder very stable. It makes for a very streamlined rig.

I agree with Scared Silly.

You would need to remove the lumbar pad.

Not necessarily.

You can add twin cyclinder mounting plates to a Ranger and dive doubles that way, but a BP is more rigid.

(Note: My questions relate only to a BP with the Ranger, not a typical BP/W configuration)

Not really, as it pertains to your Ranger.

Thanks,

Scott

Diving both units I can tell you from my own experience what I have found.
I primarily dive a BP with double 100s since I do caves.
I dive the ranger when teaching spearing or goofing off.

The BP is ideal for doubles being more stable on your back in and out of the water.
The BP weight puts your weight in a more even location on your body.
You can use a single with the BP but its a pain to convert and wings get a bit floppy.
You can use a smaller wing built for single tanks but that's even more trouble to set up if you intend to swap them regularly.

The Ranger is ideal on a single tank.
The is a little more adjustable and comfortable.
The wings are nice and tight and perfect for a single.
Buoyancy is excellent on a single AL and better with a steel.
The doubles move around a little more than I like unless your are in perfect position.
I don't doubt the strength of the ranger to support the weight of double but it has to cause more wear.
If you start recreational and are 'transitioning' to doubles and tech diving the ranger is perfect until you upgrade to a BP.

Finally, I beleive its best to use products inline with their primary design.
Use a ranger for single tanks. Its a perfect BC for that.
Use the BP for doubles. Its perfect for that.
If you are going to do A LOT of both kind of diving the you should have 2 rigs.
If you do a lot of tech and a little recreational then you could have just a BP.
If you do a lot of recreational and a bit of tech then the ranger might be your BC.

Again this is just from my personal experience.
I've been called crazy before.

~Gibby

Pardon my noobiness, but I was considering adding a backplate to my Ranger. Can any standard backplate be used? Are there any sort of special instructions for attaching the backplate?
Thanks.
-Rich

Thank you. That really cleared things up for me. My only remaining question is: In both setups, the wingnut is on the inside. Is that comfortable? How do you keep the wingnut from digging into your back or your suit? In the backplate setup, it appears there is a recessed groove. Is that deep enough to circumvent this problem(if it exists)? Okay, well I guess that was more than one.....

Because the backplate is rigid, and the BC is flexible, the wingnut gets pulled back into the void, so you do not feel anything at all.

Once you try it, you will see what I am talking about, but believe me, it works.

Just to back up Scott. The wingnut will not dig into your back or suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom