Ramons trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SandyUT

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Here it is - little late;

Ramons trip report:

We bought our own airfare on Continental and found the best deal on Ramons and Tropic Air through Bay Adventures.

Bay adventures is great! They were great from the first inquiry to the very end of it all. Highly recommend them! Very responsive, very customer oriented.

We flew continental and were diverted to Cancun due to weather. Eventually we got in to Belize city after dark. Much discussion on the plane about how we might proceed from there. Those fearing the small planes knew the water taxis stop at nightfall. We rushed off the plane and though customs to Tropic Air.

Tropic Air greeted us with smiles and helpful people. I asked if they need my vouchers and they said “please sir just your names, we have been waiting for you”. I gave our names they checked our bags (even gave us claim tickets). We were lead to the tarmac on onto the planes. 4 were waiting and all were off in short order. Smooth flight. The terminal on Ambergris was closed, but they did check every claim number before releasing bags – IMPRESSIVE!

Ramons was there shortly with the golf cart to whisk us off the couple blocks to check in. Check in was a breeze, bags delivered to rooms. Very nice. Got the scoop for the morning diving. All very casual and smooth. We ate at Pineapples and had a few drinks just happy as hell to have made it.

We met our dive master Aldolfo and boat captain David (Cha Cha) and our group for the week. Rick is the head guy at the dive shop, met his as well. Things clicked along smoothly, but rather casually as well. Our boat crew were men of few words, but very personable, helpful, professional, described the dive sites. No safety concerns from us. We had a new diver with us and they instill confidence in her.

Weather was mixed through out the week. Arrived to some wind. Had one day of sun, the next three were light rain then one afternoon of heavey rain (8” in one afternoon!). The boat captains were driving with their masks on! Then we needed the week with a couple days of nice sun shine! The first few days had fairly rough seas, but our captain was cool and collected and drove the confidence. Day 4 or 5 a boat larger than our flipped full of divers on board and was drug back into port upside down, but we did our two dives and made it back without incident.

Took the blue hole trip on our last day. We joined up with Amigos del Mar as Ramons did not not have a full boat. Great day, fun band very helpful boat crew. Ate fruits on the way out, did the blue hole – its interesting, but to spectacular be brief. Glad we did it but would not do it twice. Did two dives on the half moon caye wall that were spectacular! Ate lunch in between them on the caye which was very fun. On the ride back a pop of dolphins followed us for a while and the boat slowed and made some S turns to make it more fun for all. The weather on this day was specatular with sooth seas. Perfect last day!

Dining; ate at Elvi’s, Fidos, Hurricanes, Tacklebox, Pinapples, Celi’s Deli, and Caliente. My personal favorite was Hurricanes ceviche. Elvi’s was fabulous. Caliente come with the added bonus of being next to the Pier Lounge and the chicken drop – we picked that night and got the free show! But all were quite good.

Last day we had to check out, always a sad moment in that we are leaving and have to pay up on the incidentals and the bar bill… The bill was overly confusing, and I thought it made sense in the moment. After getting home and looking again, the 7 page bill was not making sense anymore. Part of the issue was my misunderstanding, part was an error on Ramons accounting. I called them and they did not return the call (strange). I emailed Bay Adventures and they helped resolve the issue and get me the credit back that was due. No hard feelings for Ramons, MAJOR KUDOS to Bay Adventures!!!

Fun was had by all and the family had a blast. Next trip is for me and the wife only :wink:

Amigos. Didn't you hear about it? Not in any way condemning them, because most of us operating dive centres here have had boats overturn from time to time.

Amigos. Didn't you hear about it? Not in any way condemning them, because most of us operating dive centres here have had boats overturn from time to time.

Very true

Gaz

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom