Raja Empat Papua

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

frogfish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I just read an article in Australasia scuba diver raging about Raja Ampat in West Papua, stating that this is the richest coral reef in the world. Has anyone on the board been there ?

Did around 200 dives there. But the last one was six years ago.
Indeed great diving. Lots and lots of fish and very colorfull soft corals. We were very lucky with manta's and whales. But, often very strong currents. Also down and ups. Max Ammer from Irian Diving knows everything about the area.

Went diving there last November just after the Bali bomb blast so some of their clients had cancelled, there were only 3 of us! It's a very laid back eco style resort, the staff is very friendly and it's located on a beautiful small island. The diving can be excellent! There can be some strong currents on certain dives at certain times of the day depending on the tides, so they try to take you to the sites when the currents are minimal! There are tons of fish and some sites have lots of nudibranchs, there is a spot that always has mantas, there is some good night diving, they do 3 dives a day but don't dive on Saturdays (some religious thing with Max)! I had a very good two weeks there and would recomend it!!

Thanks guys. How would you rate the diving compared to other destinations you have been to ?

Yo! Frogfish! I would rate it in the top 10 dive spots I have been to, although, as in most spots, some dives were awesome, while others were I rated good! My top 10 would be, Sipadan, Solomon's (Gizo and Munda). Png (Kavieng, Madang, Walindi), Komodo Island, Lembeh Straits, Galapagos, Bonaire, Grand Turk, Beqa Island (Fiji) and Seychelles!!! Good Luck!!

I have done a couple of trips to the area both on the liveaboard Shakti, and couldn't recommend it highly enough. I highly rate the area, as have dived all over indonesia and for sure it is the best that indo has to offer. Check out the Conservation International Rap report, Dr Allen found the highest marine bio-diversity on the planet in Raja Empat I thinks that speaks for itself.

Go you will have a ball.

mrchezzer

What is the accomodation like there and what currency do they use? Who runs the place? I presume it's not locals...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom