Raja Ampat Resort / Land Based Dive Options / Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
J

John Trecker

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
It has been some time since there has been a thread on recommendations and input for Raja Ampat / R4 resort and land based dive options.
Am planning a trip in Dec / Jan for 2 weeks and have been a bit surprised at how limited the options are.
Many places are booked up for large parts of the year (Misool Resort is completely full for all of 2022 with prior rebookings).
Any recommendations, suggestions, hints, concerns, or other input appreciated! Please feel free to add in other input. Thank you everyone!
  1. Location / Dive Site Access: Are diverse sites close / far? Long boat rides? House reef?
  2. Dive Ops / Team: Safety / boats? Especially any recs for good guides / spotters.
  3. Dive Equipment : Considerations on Nitrox / tank size / type, etc. Concerns with quality?
  4. Accommodation / Food: Basic / Luxury / Value? Aircon? Food quality / variability. Recs on room type / location?
  5. Wifi / Mobile Access Experience: Especially in these days of remote work.
  6. Overall Impressions / Recs: Would you go back? Good value? Cater to serious divers? Anything you would do differently?
PS: Of course any input is in the context of Covid 19 pandemic and related impacts which we all know obviously has affected and will continue to affect ops, but his is not intended to be a posting to discuss Covid 19 (such as entry requirements) which has been covered in depth elsewhere.

If you have to remain connected then I would suggest that only if you mean text messaging and not document transferring. It is a remote area and Elon Musk hasn't donated any of his star satellites to that area yet.

I am diving Raja with some friends. I go diving to get away from my business so only my wife will have access to me when I am away as she does not dive and runs the business when I am away.
The last time I was in R4--land-based and liveaboard-- I was dealing with a client who absolutely did not want me to be out of touch. I rented a satellite hotspot from satellitephonestore.com. It was pricey but worked well both at Papua Paradise and at sea. Of course, being that connected somewhat spoils the trip.

By regulation, solo diving is not allowed in Indonesia for recreational diving.
That very well may be the case, but I have been solo diving on more than one house reef in Indonesia so the question is a reasonable one. I just didn't dive the house reef at Papua Paradise at all. It looked like a very nice shallow reef and those that did dive and snorkel it were happy.

Their website is super well organized and informative. One of better I have seen after lots of research. Unfortunately I have to remain connected. Sim card is grest suggestion.
I always get a sim card for my iPhone in Indonesia. Works great when you have a signal, and the signal is strong. My recollection of Papua Paradise was that the signal existed, but was very weak. As with their WiFi you could get email but sending a picture back home was not happening. Took the iPhone with me on a couple of days (to the other side of Dampier Straight) and in a couple of locations the signal was very good and allowed me to post a couple of pictures.

Of course, being that connected somewhat spoils the trip.

I go on vacations to get away from being connected. For many they never get to truly relax as they are on call which is nuts.

I go on vacations to get away from being connected. For many they never get to truly relax as they are on call which is nuts.
I agree, but in all honesty, the satellite connection was not that bad. I downloaded and replied to emails once a day and the rest of the time forgot about work. The good was I had none of the dread I feel when reconnecting and 1500 emails download at once. I wouldn't choose to bring one along. But it wasn't as bad as I expected it to be.

That very well may be the case, but I have been solo diving on more than one house reef in Indonesia so the question is a reasonable one. I just didn't dive the house reef at Papua Paradise at all. It looked like a very nice shallow reef and those that did dive and snorkel it were happy.
There's so many tourist riding scooter without having valid driving license or how many people riding motorcycles not wearing helmet.
Similar with solo diving, if something happened then the dive center will get lot of trouble with the police. It happened in Bali; the owner have to visit police office many time and spent lot of money.

I agree, but in all honesty, the satellite connection was not that bad. I downloaded and replied to emails once a day and the rest of the time forgot about work. The good was I had none of the dread I feel when reconnecting and 1500 emails download at once. I wouldn't choose to bring one along. But it wasn't as bad as I expected it to be.

This could work. I work in the satellite and IPTV industry and of course there is the Inmarsat systems already out there. Sometimes it takes me a few days to really forget about work. That's when I know I am on a real vacation. Maybe Musk will help out

I was dealing with a client who absolutely did not want me to be out of touch.

I had a client like that. Very demanding and refused to deal with my office who could handle any request. That client made the mistake of insulting my wife so we did not renew our services contract with that client. If a client can not respect your private time then maybe it's time to ditch that client. Just my humble opinion. We also refuse potential clients if we feel they are not worth taking on.

I tried to look at possible land-based add-ons to my Misool trip in late September (postponed from 2020). I could not find availability. I even looked at Lembeh as an add-on, but the logistics and limited availability did not work out. Best of luck to you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom