Raja Ampat Liveaboard Advice Request

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dan_T, you will enjoy Amira. Great boat great crew. Lots and lots of space on the boat. Very well designed dive deck.

Don't need anti malarials in Raja. They also screw you up for diving.

Reactions: Dan
Dan_T, you will enjoy Amira. Great boat great crew. Lots and lots of space on the boat. Very well designed dive deck.

Don't need anti malarials in Raja. They also screw you up for diving.

Can you be more specific about the anti-malarials screwing one up for diving?

Anti malarials have very strong side effects. And from what I've heard and experienced it was not recommended to dive on them.
I have seen people have serious adverse reactions to them.
While in India, I had terrible headaches, insomnia and general unwellness, which ended when I stop taking anti malerials in the middle of the trip.

Anti malarials have very strong side effects. And from what I've heard and experienced it was not recommended to dive on them.
I have seen people have serious adverse reactions to them.
While in India, I had terrible headaches, insomnia and general unwellness, which ended when I stop taking anti malerials in the middle of the trip.

When was this? They have changed the malaria medications over the years. Lariam used to give lots of people wacky dreams and had bad side effects but that is no longer used for malaria. Curious what meds you are referring to as the meds that are given these days do not have strong side effects like you are referencing

Regarding anit-malarial meds. Most docs have little experience with the region and needlessly prescribe meds that are not needed. If possible, find a tropical infectious disease doc. I stopped taking such meds about 10 years ago, mostly working on remote Indonesian atolls studying earthquakes and tsunamis. Here, I use netting and spray to mitigate tramsmission. Personally, I have never used anti-malarial meds in Raja Ampat and adjacent regions.

Whether or not to take the anti malaria drugs is up to you. While working on boats in Raja Ampat, a colleague contracted the disease twice in one working season but no other staff members or guests ever got sick. I have myself not taken any preventive drugs for this in the six years that I have been living in Indonesia (Flores, Papua, Bali) and have never gotten malaria (or dengue). My choice was to stay off the drugs and protect myself around "mosquito prime time". Whatever you decide, have a lovely trip in Raja Ampat!

Adelaar, it is my understanding that once a person has had a bout of malaria, the illness can recur again and again. If this is true, then is it possible that your friend had only contracted it once? Small comfort in that, I'd suppose.

Back
Top Bottom