Question Raja Ampat First time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Franek

Franek

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
First time
Hi,
We have questions about Raja Ampat's dive in January.
We've read a lot about R4 in the forum and we're wondering about this place, our experiences are various dive spots in Central America and Egypt.
Our questions are initially as follows.

1. Whether this is the right date for diving with Liveabord, we are interested in Blue Manta 7/8 nights
2. We have both been diving for 7 months, we have +/- 45 dives is it a suitable place for divers with little experience?
3. We finished AOWD + Nitrox we are conservative dives only 2 + 1

Maria

We have questions about Raja Ampat's dive in January.
That’s a good time to be in R4. December to February period is good time to be there. So, January is at the middle of the period. I’ll be there in January 2023 on another private liveaboard.

I have to understand that diving with Lob is more difficult, and resort venues are easier do you think?
We dived from the boat, but we didn't live on the boat, that makes such a difference ages?
Can you tell me what to expect when choosing LoB?
It is not about living on a boat, it is actually difficulty of the dive conditions. As inexperienced diver braving beyond your experience level, you will need attention until you get used to new conditions. In a LoB there are usually 2 guides and 2 small tender boats. In a resort many more boats and guides, so, you might be catered better. In resort you will miss out some of the dive sites, @Dan is right, R4 is big and only with a LoB you can have such reach. But I was surprised how well timings of resort dives were adjusted to dive a certain site in best conditions, so, I was pretty happy and staying on a water bungalow/pondok is hard to beat and cannot be compared to LoB.
None of us can advise you on what is best for you because we do not know your skill level and your learning abilities. Watch some LoB videos in the net and read some reviews. It is certainly possible to dive with less experience but at least select a good operator don't cheap out; its a lot of time, money and co2 to get there, make sure it will be worth.
Another note, nearest proper recompression facilities are in Manado. We had someone getting skin bends and we disembarked her to a resort the rest of her trip.

Home stay is another way to dive R4.
Far more interesting if you have time to spend ie island hopping.
The cost is lot of lot cheaper.

Another note, nearest proper recompression facilities are in Manado. We had someone getting skin bends and we disembarked her to a resort the rest of her trip.
Only terrible things, Manado is so far away, I don't expect anything to happen during the dive.

Nadmuchiwane ? to niezwykle rzadki widok w południowo-wschodniej Azji.

Tłumaczenie tego słowa jest wielką niewiadomą, dlatego zapytałam
Hi Franek,
If Google Translate has it right, it seems like you were confused by another poster's use of the word "inflatable." In this context, it means a type of small boat that looks like this: DIVE LIKE A PRO: RIB Diving

Jan is good, I'm going to be there over Christmas.
~50 dives should be ok, my first liveaboard I had maybe 20 dives. It was to Similans/Richelieu Rock which I think is easier but nonetheless had some big currents on a few dives. Only way to get comfortable diving in current is to dive in current...
Liveaboards usually do 4 dives a day, so if you prefer 2 dives / day to be conservative you may prefer land based. There is nothing to do on a liveaboard if the others are out diving and you want to skip the afternoon dives.
This year will be my first trip to R4 also, I am doing 1 week on land (Papua Explorers) and 1 week on liveaboard (so I can go south to Misool). From my research I was initially going to do a 12D/11N north to south liveaboard that covers the whole thing but figured it may be too much time on a boat, especially if there are any issues.
I do generally speaking much prefer liveaboard diving vs resort diving, everything is just easier, you wake up, dive, eat, sleep, and repeat. Crew does everything and no long or cold boat rides back from the dive sites. You get much closer with the others on the boat as well, whereas I don't manage to make the same connections at a resort. The liveaboard crowd is in general a bit more hardcore about diving vs the resort crowd.
Most Liveaboards I've looked into in Indo guarantees 1:4 max dive guide to guest ratio, whereas resorts usually go up to 6. I think if you booked one of the less popular/smaller boats chances are good they will not be full and you may even get a dive guide all to yourself if you let them know of your concerns.

Cześć,
Myśleliśmy, że nasz Writing English to = 0, a tłumacz jest artystą
po polsku to ponton
Dziękuję za informacje dotyczące

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom