Raja Ampat diver death

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We will be on Amira, per @Dan's recommendations.

Talk to Nora (Amira CD) about your experience in diving in current, she’ll put you in group with similar experience and assign guide accordingly. You’ll be in good hands. I’ve been on this boat twice.

Say hi to Nora from me when you are there.

A comment on down currents from a personal experience - also in Raja Ampat. We had hit patchy strong head currents that I was not prepared to swim against, so signaled to my guide that I was going up, which he OKed. As I went up the reef I hit a strong head current that I could not swim against so I grabbed what I could. Another dive guide with his group saw me and came over to move me sideways out of the strong current. It was like a rip on a surf beach and the rule there is don't fight it, move sideways and hopefully get out of it. It certainly worked for me, but it clearly was nowhere near as strong as that experienced in this unfortunate incident. I didn't feel scared at any stage, but was glad I had plenty of air! My air consumption rate was through the roof.

Sorry about your friend. Are rogue undercurrents common in RA? Were headed there soon.
Steve was my brother. He was very experienced diver. Been diving since the age of 12 in Trinidad, West Indies. He died of an embolism in the brain. I miss him everyday. Be careful out there people. Watch out for each other. There's no restart in any of this.

Steve was my brother. He was very experienced diver. Been diving since the age of 12 in Trinidad, West Indies. He died of an embolism in the brain. I miss him everyday. Be careful out there people. Watch out for each other. There's no restart in any of this.
Good advice and very sorry for your loss!

You have my deepest sympathies for your devastating loss.

I’m so sorry for you and to all who knew Steve. I met met him on a liveaboard in Mexico. He was with a group of good friends and I gravitated toward them and was adopted by the group leading to a much more enjoyable trip.
We also met up in Roatan dive for a week and he was a fantastic dive buddy.
This past August we were supposed to meet up while he was in LA but the once in a lifetime tropical storm kept lots of people in place and we couldn’t.
Ironically he embarked on his trip a few days after i disembarked from a different boat but also in Raja Ampat.
I’ll miss him.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom