Raja Ampat diver death

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I read on FB that it was due to a 'rogue undercurrent'.

He was a friend of mine and was very experienced with thousands of dives.
I don’t know the exact details as of now.
Ironically I was on the last leg of my Raja Ampat liveaboard trip (on another vessel) when his began.
So scary it could happen to anyone.
He will be missed.

He was a friend of mine and was very experienced with thousands of dives.
I don’t know the exact details as of now.
Ironically I was on the last leg of my Raja Ampat liveaboard trip (on another vessel) when his began.
So scary it could happen to anyone.
He will be missed.
Sorry about your friend. Are rogue undercurrents common in RA? Were headed there soon.

There can always be currents with down, up, or straight. Indonesia is known for its currents which bring nutrients and allow for the biodiversity you see when you are there. The important thing to do is listen to the dive briefing and follow your guide! I have been in a few crazy down currents which caused me to call a dive in Raja.

I've experienced a couple of screaming currents on a couple of dives or more but no down currents. Regardless, it seems they exist.

Take a good reef hook and a heavy duty pointer stick with you. Find a way to attach them to your gear.

I dive with my pointer stick on my wrist, whether I use it or not. I don't let it drag when not using it.

At surface interval, i have it clipped to my bcd D ring.

Dive Physics: Suppose you get caught in a severe downdraft while diving. Like a down rip current off a wall that goes down a mile or more. Let's propose that you do not suffer a health related issue like a cardiac arrest, and both stage one and two of your reg is operating, and you have sufficient air in your tank. Your BCD only inflates to max, which may not be enough to give you positive buoyancy if the downcurrent is that severe, and as we know as we descend deeper the inflated BCD compresses and you must continue to inflate it. At serious depth narcosis could be an issue, if / once the downdraft "spits you out", and you begin to gain positive buoyancy (if even in control of yourself), you start to ascend, and possibly at a faster and faster rate, so if you don't "dump" your BCD you could be setting yourself up for bends. Of course, if you are not in control of yourself, then the scenario will play out bad for certain.

Have no idea if this is for certain the exact spot where they were diving, but the video shows a rather nasty current coming in from between two islands.
Aerial video of Kawe island south, Raja Ampat, Indonesia

Back
Top Bottom