Raja Ampat diver death

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I consider my gloves as important part of my safety gear as a pointer and reef hook when diving in current prone areas (and anywhere really), and generally avoid places/jurisdictions/operators that disallow them. Yes, I know the poor logic officials and operators have for forbidding them but my question is why should experienced responsible divers be penalized for poorly trained or poorly disciplined divers?

You are not allowed to wear gloves in Raja Ampat.

Raja Ampat, or the "Four Kingdoms," is a group of Indonesian islands off West Papua's Bird's Head Peninsula. It became a hot diving spot in the '90s after Australian ichthyologist Gerry Allen and underwater photographers Denise and Larry Tackett revealed it had the world's richest reefs. More species of coral and fish have been identified off Cape Kri than anywhere in the world.

What makes these reefs so rich? Pacific ocean currents combine with tides and force water up through the Dampier Strait, where Kri Island acts as a foil to the flow. The nutrients in the cold oceanic up-wellings support the fabulous and prolific underwater flora and fauna.

Between Kri and the larger island Waigeo, the channel is peppered with reefs, causing ripping currents and over-falls. The currents near Kri can send the unprepared diver whirling downward, bottoming out at 40m before being released and spat out. At the far end is a manta cleaning station - Manta Sandy - where you hook into something secure and watch the mantas dance in the flow. Once you've selected your position, it's impossible to swim to another, the current can be so strong. Sometimes the sand is whipped up like an underwater sandstorm, leaving your photographs unsharp and disappointing, but if there is no current there will be no mantas.

Underwater photographers who like to dive repeatedly with the same subject to perfect their shots may be disappointed at many sites. Around the Dampier Strait, it's different every time you get into the water. The vast quantities of nutrients can also be problematic.

Most liveaboard operators have earmarked sites farther south that are less demanding of a diver-photographer. Of course, they are often less spectacular. Many of these reefs are home to pygmy seahorses. Take a strong magnifier or an extreme-macro camera.

Liveaboard operations tend to be divided between Northern and Southern charters. Some more extended trips incorporate both areas but leave the diving in the Dampier Strait until last so their passengers are well-dived. There is no point in frightening your passengers at the beginning of a charter.

The islands in the Misool region are jagged peaks that rise spectacularly. Close to the Misool Resort are three sites to which they shuttle divers back and forth, and the currents seem manageable. Liveaboards tend to press on after a few dives, ever looking for something better.

Finally, a word about the weather. Raja Ampat is at zero degrees latitude, and nowhere in the world is more tropical. The islands are in the doldrums, and strong winds with rough seas are rare. However, temperatures vary between extremely hot and quite cool and can happen almost moment to moment. Clouds continually roll across the sky, obscuring the sun, and it rains in biblical proportions, sometimes for days on end.

With ordinary ISO settings on my camera, I've often needed long exposures to get the background light in balance with my flash. Down deep, there is little natural light. In the north, nutrients rushing past in the current can cause an unsharp effect so pictures can be disappointing. That said, there's always plenty to photograph. In the southern area, diving is easier but visibly and dramatically less dynamic.

Said simply, the Dampier Strait is good for adventurous diving, and the southern area around Misool is better for more sedate underwater photography with plenty of macro subjects.

- John Bantin, Senior Editor
The Danger of Down Currents

Currents can also be caused by strong wind or high-pressure atmospheric conditions building up pressure in the open ocean. When a current comes up against a vertical wall, it must flow up and over, around, or down. That vertical down current can be very dangerous to those divers unaware of how to cope.

Divers meet down currents at the Maldivian atolls' outside reefs and at Indonesian islands, where there is a tidal difference between the Indian Ocean and the smaller seas to the north, such as the Banda Sea. Indonesia's Raja Ampat is well known for its currents. One of its famous sites, Cape Kri in the Dampier Strait, often has an infamous down current that may appear just as divers are finishing their dives. It can whisk divers down to 130 feet before releasing them to bob back to the surface, a frightening experience for an unsuspecting diver. Divers have died there.

They Can Be Very Localized.

Downward currents can be strong, multi-directional, and dangerous. They can begin the moment a tide changes. There may be tell-tale signs: schooling fish swimming energetically yet vertically, or soft corals flattened in the flow.

Sometimes they are very localized. The flow that promises to send you down 100 feet might not affect a diver only a few feet away from you. In my early diving days, I had the surreal experience of trying to climb a reef wall near Komodo when another diver kindly offered me his gloves. He was not affected by the current and was wondering what I was doing, yet he was only an arm's length away.

Swim horizontally away from whatever is causing the down current, usually a reef wall.

If you find yourself in a down current, it can be of little use to inflate your BC or SMB or to try to swim up against the current. I've watched in awe as the surface marker buoy I deployed at 60 feet hit the down current near the surface, turned away from the reef face, and descended fully inflated.

Imagine a Waterfall

Think of a down current as a waterfall. If you get close to the wall, you might get out of it in the lee of an overhang. But where do you go? Certainly not rock climbing. And you're not a powerful swimmer like a salmon.

So, you must swim horizontally as hard as you can away from whatever is causing the current - that waterfall - to flow downward. It's usually a reef wall. You don't know how wide the waterfall is, so swim toward the open ocean and out of the waterfall.

If you did inflate your BC and dropped your weights, you risk an uncontrolled ascent to the surface once you are free of the current - so that's to be done only if you are almost out of air and totally out of ideas.
Yes agree : move laterally, hold on to the wall for a few seconds or minutes maximum if the flow is too strong and then move laterally to get out of this narrow "waterfall".
Again, please explain how and why anybody would use a reef hook on a 1m long line in such a situation ?
If almost out of air and still in the flow, then last strategy is to swim away from the wall with a fully inflated BCD to limit the descent and be ready to quick purge your BCD when current fades away when further away from the wall.
I have always considered dangerous to dive in areas with potential downward current with a single tank. 2 tanks are a better option coz what you need is time and what give you time is air

Yes agree : move laterally, hold on to the wall for a few seconds or minutes maximum if the flow is too strong and then move laterally to get out of this narrow "waterfall".
Again, please explain how and why anybody would use a reef hook on a 1m long rope in such a situation ?
If almost out of air and still in the flow, then last strategy is to swim away from the wall with a fully inflated BCD to limit the descent and be ready to quick purge your BCD when current fades away when further away from the wall.
I have always considered dangerous to dive in areas with potential downward current with a single tank. 2 tanks are a better option coz what you need is time and what give you time is air
I think the idea is that in strong down current that you could use your reef hook and pointer to move along the reef without getting dragged further down - so tools to possibly allow you to move laterally or climb out of the down current.

I think the idea is that in strong down current that you could use your reef hook and pointer to move along the reef without getting dragged further down - so tools to possibly allow you to move laterally or climb out of the down current.
I believe that the only strong hold you can get is with your both hands ; not suspended down a hook with a 1m line or with a hook/pointer in 1 hand.
And that's the only way you can hold tight and move laterally simultaneously.

In case of a downward current, the idea is to move laterally because it is narrow. I do not think that a hook can help. To me a hook is more to enjoy current waiting for big stuff to come but not to get myself out of a tricky downward current, I would rather "spider" sidely the wall/reef ...

It can happen so fast & suddenly. You don’t know how wide and deep the downcurrent is. You are on Nitrox too. Finning laterally may end up diagonally downward to deeper water.

I would swim to the nearest wall/reef, hide behind overhang / overgrown reef, anchor myself by any means necessary, calm myself down and wait until the downcurrent to dissipate if I have plenty of gas or start “underwater rock climbing” when I’m getting low on gas.

The last downcurrent & “underwater rock climbing” event I did was in Nusa Lembongan, Bali, on a dive site called Blue Corner in August 2022. I literally saw my bubbles went down.

Raja Ampat, or the "Four Kingdoms," is a group of Indonesian islands off West Papua's Bird's Head Peninsula. It became a hot diving spot in the '90s after Australian ichthyologist Gerry Allen and underwater photographers Denise and Larry Tackett revealed it had the world's richest reefs. More species of coral and fish have been identified off Cape Kri than anywhere in the world.

What makes these reefs so rich? Pacific ocean currents combine with tides and force water up through the Dampier Strait, where Kri Island acts as a foil to the flow. The nutrients in the cold oceanic up-wellings support the fabulous and prolific underwater flora and fauna.

Between Kri and the larger island Waigeo, the channel is peppered with reefs, causing ripping currents and over-falls. The currents near Kri can send the unprepared diver whirling downward, bottoming out at 40m before being released and spat out. At the far end is a manta cleaning station - Manta Sandy - where you hook into something secure and watch the mantas dance in the flow. Once you've selected your position, it's impossible to swim to another, the current can be so strong. Sometimes the sand is whipped up like an underwater sandstorm, leaving your photographs unsharp and disappointing, but if there is no current there will be no mantas.

Underwater photographers who like to dive repeatedly with the same subject to perfect their shots may be disappointed at many sites. Around the Dampier Strait, it's different every time you get into the water. The vast quantities of nutrients can also be problematic.

Most liveaboard operators have earmarked sites farther south that are less demanding of a diver-photographer. Of course, they are often less spectacular. Many of these reefs are home to pygmy seahorses. Take a strong magnifier or an extreme-macro camera.

Liveaboard operations tend to be divided between Northern and Southern charters. Some more extended trips incorporate both areas but leave the diving in the Dampier Strait until last so their passengers are well-dived. There is no point in frightening your passengers at the beginning of a charter.

The islands in the Misool region are jagged peaks that rise spectacularly. Close to the Misool Resort are three sites to which they shuttle divers back and forth, and the currents seem manageable. Liveaboards tend to press on after a few dives, ever looking for something better.

Finally, a word about the weather. Raja Ampat is at zero degrees latitude, and nowhere in the world is more tropical. The islands are in the doldrums, and strong winds with rough seas are rare. However, temperatures vary between extremely hot and quite cool and can happen almost moment to moment. Clouds continually roll across the sky, obscuring the sun, and it rains in biblical proportions, sometimes for days on end.

With ordinary ISO settings on my camera, I've often needed long exposures to get the background light in balance with my flash. Down deep, there is little natural light. In the north, nutrients rushing past in the current can cause an unsharp effect so pictures can be disappointing. That said, there's always plenty to photograph. In the southern area, diving is easier but visibly and dramatically less dynamic.

Said simply, the Dampier Strait is good for adventurous diving, and the southern area around Misool is better for more sedate underwater photography with plenty of macro subjects.

- John Bantin, Senior Editor
The Danger of Down Currents

Currents can also be caused by strong wind or high-pressure atmospheric conditions building up pressure in the open ocean. When a current comes up against a vertical wall, it must flow up and over, around, or down. That vertical down current can be very dangerous to those divers unaware of how to cope.

Divers meet down currents at the Maldivian atolls' outside reefs and at Indonesian islands, where there is a tidal difference between the Indian Ocean and the smaller seas to the north, such as the Banda Sea. Indonesia's Raja Ampat is well known for its currents. One of its famous sites, Cape Kri in the Dampier Strait, often has an infamous down current that may appear just as divers are finishing their dives. It can whisk divers down to 130 feet before releasing them to bob back to the surface, a frightening experience for an unsuspecting diver. Divers have died there.

They Can Be Very Localized.

Downward currents can be strong, multi-directional, and dangerous. They can begin the moment a tide changes. There may be tell-tale signs: schooling fish swimming energetically yet vertically, or soft corals flattened in the flow.

Sometimes they are very localized. The flow that promises to send you down 100 feet might not affect a diver only a few feet away from you. In my early diving days, I had the surreal experience of trying to climb a reef wall near Komodo when another diver kindly offered me his gloves. He was not affected by the current and was wondering what I was doing, yet he was only an arm's length away.

Swim horizontally away from whatever is causing the down current, usually a reef wall.

If you find yourself in a down current, it can be of little use to inflate your BC or SMB or to try to swim up against the current. I've watched in awe as the surface marker buoy I deployed at 60 feet hit the down current near the surface, turned away from the reef face, and descended fully inflated.

Imagine a Waterfall

Think of a down current as a waterfall. If you get close to the wall, you might get out of it in the lee of an overhang. But where do you go? Certainly not rock climbing. And you're not a powerful swimmer like a salmon.

So, you must swim horizontally as hard as you can away from whatever is causing the current - that waterfall - to flow downward. It's usually a reef wall. You don't know how wide the waterfall is, so swim toward the open ocean and out of the waterfall.

If you did inflate your BC and dropped your weights, you risk an uncontrolled ascent to the surface once you are free of the current - so that's to be done only if you are almost out of air and totally out of ideas.
I don’t know that you can generalize the areas that much as currents are tide/lunar phase and topography dependent, regardless of area in RA. We encountered the strongest currents in Misool - it was absolutely ripping at Gus Ridge and Magic Mountain and was even more chaotic at Nudi Rock. However, we did not encounter any significant downcurrents/waterfalls (a bit crazy at Nudi Rock, but not drag to the bottom type).

We did not encounter that intensity of current in Kri/Dampier Strait sites (still were strong currents at times - but not as intense as we encountered in the South). We had almost no current at Manta Sandy but plenty of Mantas.

What is most important in risk of down current is the tide state and the topography of the site. The tide state was not always as predicted and the DM predive check was the final decision maker on diving a site or determining where best to drop - but always best to be prepared for the worst.

Having only dived in the Caribbean before last year, i had never really encountered the type of strong currents that I experienced in Fiji and Raja Ampat. The first time you do, it’s eye-opening and a bit disconcerting - but if you remain calm, you learn that you can still generally dive “safely” with the right techniques and tools.

I believe that the only strong hold you can get is with your both hands ; not suspended down a hook with a 1m line or with a hook/pointer in 1 hand.
Fair enough, but you can use the hook and pointer as extensions of your hands (like mountain climbers use ice axes). In some cases that might be easier than shredding your fingers/hands on sharp coral. It’s an option that might be useful.

It can happen so fast & suddenly. You don’t know how wide and deep the downcurrent is. You are on Nitrox too. Finning laterally may end up diagonally downward to deeper water.

I would swim to the nearest wall/reef, hide behind overhang / overgrown reef, anchor myself by any means necessary, calm myself down and wait until the downcurrent to dissipate if I have plenty of gas or start “underwater rock climbing” when I’m getting low on gas.

The last downcurrent & “underwater rock climbing” event I did was in Nusa Penida, Bali, on a dive site called Blue Corner in August 2022. I literally saw my bubbles went down.
Love this dive site too, topography and colors are great, but so far never had big issue with current. Most probably you were at the small wall at the end of the corner ...

Since gloves are not allowed, you would potentially shredding your water-softened fingers on scrapping those sharp wall surfaces, like what happened to the deceased dive buddy.

Love this dive site too, topography and colors are great, but so far never had big issue with current. Most probably you were at the small wall at the end of the corner ...

I was in Blue Corner again in August this year, when I heard Mola Mola was around and saw a couple of them in the blue water. I dare not to swim away form the reef in fear of the downcurrent experience last year. So, I just filmed them from the reef with my GoPro on my right hand and my left hand (with glove) gripping a crevice on a wall. You can see the ripping horizontal current in the first few seconds of the video, below, at 12-15m (40-50 feet) depth on the ledge of the wall before turning into a downcurrent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom