Rainy season?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mmmeenehan

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
In some literature I've seen reference to the "rainy season" starting in mid-May. We'll be making our first trip to GC 12-19 May. (East end, CP/OF) Does anyone have any info on what the rainy season consists of?

Thanks!

mmmeenehan:
In some literature I've seen reference to the "rainy season" starting in mid-May. We'll be making our first trip to GC 12-19 May. (East end, CP/OF) Does anyone have any info on what the rainy season consists of?

Thanks!

In theory, I think it starts June 1. In reality, it starts around Sept. 1 and runs to about Nov. 15 or so.

During May 12 to 19, you should expect sun, sun + more sun.

In the real rainy season, you still get lots of sunny days but maybe 1 day in 3 is overcast & raining for at least part of the day. The really critical thing to be aware of during the "real" rainy season is the chance of a hurricane, which will prevent you from diving, to put it mildly.

East End gets less rain than George Town and the west side of the island.

Rainy season generally means a daily 20% chance of isolated downpours. It can go from sunny to menacing skies and pouring rain, and then back to sunny... all in about 20 minutes.

Though the wind can gust around squalls, more often the sea gets really calm and flat as the rain comes through.

Another point:

Don't even bother looking at weather forecasts for Cayman on the internet. Most days, it will be "Scattered Showers." But, as Drew said, even with a shower it's sunny for all but 20 miniutes of the day.

My wife and I spent 2 weeks on GC last August. The weather was great. It rained in late afternoon for only about a half hour and never over the whole island. My sister who lives in GC told us that this was typical weather in the hurricane season. We did 22 dives in 12 days.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom