Racha Yai and Phi Phi diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adrenaline_junkie

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey guys just a discussion on Racha Yai and Phi Phi.
I was there in June of this year and had a fantastic time diving. Water was clear and warm (31 degrees C) and spotted black tip reef sharks and leopard sharks. Managed to see a family of 5 turtles swimming about as well as the usual lion fish scorpian fish etc. Spotted a ribbon eel also.

This is an absolutely beautiful part of the world, it is so cheap to stay here and the people are fantastic. (if you can learn to ignore MASSSSSSSSSSSSSAGGGGE being shouted at you daily)!!

Anyone else been here or had any good experiences it would be awesome to share them

James

Hey guys just a discussion on Racha Yai and Phi Phi.
I was there in June of this year and had a fantastic time diving. Water was clear and warm (31 degrees C) and spotted black tip reef sharks and leopard sharks. Managed to see a family of 5 turtles swimming about as well as the usual lion fish scorpian fish etc. Spotted a ribbon eel also.

This is an absolutely beautiful part of the world, it is so cheap to stay here and the people are fantastic. (if you can learn to ignore MASSSSSSSSSSSSSAGGGGE being shouted at you daily)!!

Anyone else been here or had any good experiences it would be awesome to share them

James

You should come to Pattaya sometime and hear the full chorus.

HELLO WELCOME
SEXY MAN
SIT DOWN ONE DRINK PLEASE
I WANT GO WITH YOU
MASSSSSSSSSSSAGGGE

:):)

yeh it was bay 2, Racha Yai Island, and the depth was 12m. I actually have it on video also. Will try upload it :D - I gather they are quite rare?

I don't think ribbon eels are "rare" in the Andaman Sea but they are very cryptic creatures and often hide in their hole in the sand or rubble making it hard (or impossible) for divers to spot them.
Your ribbon eel is a picture of a juvenile male (black stage) animal. When it grows it will slowly turn electric blue (adult male) and then after that turn yellow and change sex too (it will turn from being a male ribbon eel into a female ribbon eel!).

Pretty cool animals huh?!!

That's right. Ribbon eels do live in the area, so they aren't exactly rare, but they are also not common like white-eyed morays are. We seldom see them, and we are always thrilled when we do! I've never found one at Racha Yai, but will check out Bay 2 at 12 meters next time I'm down there. Thanks very much for sharing!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom