R.I.P Andrew Denison - Net Entanglement Incident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lyndon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Andrew Denison (Drew) from Tampa, Florida passed away on the 25th Feb in a free-diving accident.

He and some friends were out spearfishing when he somehow got entangled in discarded monofilament fishing net at around 20m / 65ft. He couldnt cut himself out of it in time and drowned.

Drew was a real talent in the reef aquarium, spearfishing and free diving hobby. It was amazing to watch him collect tropical aquarium fish in the wild.

He died doing what he absolutely loved and I request that you remember his family at this difficult time.

He will be missed. Taken from us far too soon.

The question that haunts me is what does one do in a situation like this? Is it possible to escape if you have a scuba tank?

the question about having a tank ... I think that with enough air , you could cut your way out , but I can't imagine the kind of training a freediver would need to help to stay calm and " work the problem" with that scenario ... RIP Andrew

Back
Top Bottom