Quintessential regulators...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Apex. My instructor bought a DS4/TX50 way back when because the cave divers in FL were using them. Dive Rites and Scubapros are also good choices.

NetDoc:
Me:
Experienced diver who frequents wrecks and caves and teaches Scuba. While I have an Oceanic that I use for the pool, I need to replace my two aging Micra/Cousteau regulators (DIN). My OW tank of choice is a steel HP120 with H Dins (2) or a set of double 72s.

My criteria:
High performance
DIN
eensy weensy
Light
Environmentally Sealed
Rediculously easy to breathe (no freeflows)
Rebuilds itself when it is time :D

So what fits? What doesn't?

Manufacturers: feel free to tell me about your "best of the best" regs in here. :D

I'm ready for some new regs!

Why don't you wait until DEMA when the new stuff is out and people are looking for testers?

cerich:
Why don't you wait until DEMA when the new stuff is out...
(Cue promotional music...) Do tell Chris... We would love to get a sneak peek at the "new stuff". :D

NetDoc:
Does Apeks have a web site???
http://www.aqualung.com/home.html

Click on the regulator tab and it will open a drop down window with both Aqualung and Apeks regs. Not surprising since Apeks is a wholly owned subsidiary of Aqualung.

Not surprisingly their regs are also similar. The Legend LX for example is functioanlly speaking essentially the same as the ATX 200. Given a choice betwene the two, I;d take the Legend LX as it is an excellent regulator and your service options will be better as all Aqualung dealers stock and carry Aqualung, but not all Aqualung dealers stock or carry Apeks parts and regs.

I agree with your decision to get rid of the Micras. They are finicky in service and I am not fond of working on them as they are difficult to work on and tend to be very inconsistent in terms of adjustment and performance.

I like the Scubapro Mk 17 as it is a compact and sealed dsign that offers excellent performance and reliability. It goes very well with the S600 and can be special ordered that way.

NetDoc:
(Cue promotional music...) Do tell Chris... We would love to get a sneak peek at the "new stuff". :D

Suffice it to say there will be something that fits the bill for what you describe...:wink:

DA Aquamaster:
The Legend LX for example is functioanlly speaking essentially the same as the ATX 200.

is there a way to find out which Aqualung reg is the equivalent of which Apeks reg?

(for those of us who are mentally ... otherwise engaged)

I can now breakdown and reassemble my DS4/TX50 with my eyes closed, literally.

Complete muscle memory (although I redo it w/ my eyes open to recheck of course).

:umnik:

All the Apeks 1st stages are essentially the same internally. The ATX series has one oversized 1/2" LP port. The XTX series has 3/8" LP ports all around. The DST 1st stages have a swivel turret. The FSR 1st stages have a replaceable valve seat. Depending on whether you get an adjustable 2nd stage or not makes all the regs similar to either the AL Legend (no inhalation effort adjustment) or Legend LX (has inhalation effort adjustment).

FWIW, I think my SP MK17/X650 out breathes my Apeks XTX200 and my MK25/S600s. . .

Back
Top Bottom