Trip Report Quick Trip Report-Curacao and Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Usernamethis

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We Have been to Bonaire every August for the past few years and decided to go to Curacao for the first time on our way to Bonaire this year. We spent two weeks there the end of July and sadly we were very unimpressed. We rented a house near a dive shop and did the truck/air shore diving through the shop. It was pretty lame underwater with lots of dead hard coral and not much life. The diving areas were crowded with lots of classes and cruise ship visitors. I would not recommend Curacao for experienced divers. I think getting certified there or inexperienced divers would find it ok.

We took EZ Air to Bonaire where we booked our usual house and truck and air for the next 4 weeks. We really looked forward to being back this year until our first couple of dives. We started at our old favorite Invisibles and were amazed at how barren it has become. Sure you can see fish but it is nowhere like it was even a year ago. All the hard coral had been decimated and of course that leads to the underwater fauna disappearing. Whereas we used to see large green Morays -Rays-Nudibranchs etc.. on almost every dive, we would go 2-3 dives before spotting anything. We thought maybe it was us but when we finally got a couple of the staff that we have known from previous trips at the air station to break company rules and speak bluntly they admitted that it is all going down hill. Their take on the reefs and diving is that with the coral disease brought there by the cruise boats and the run off from the over building going on- coupled with the warmer waters that the whole island reef system is in serious trouble. We talked with some folks at STINAPA who said they are begging the powers in charge to allow them to shut down some dive sites on a rotating basis to try and help. However the reality is that no officials want to do the right thing as it affects their pocket book and places like Capt. Dons and Buddy's dole the cash out to keep things open.

It is a sad situation. I don't know what the locals will do when the divers stop spending- No one but the cab drivers and the islands governors make any money off of the cruise ships. It took a few thousand years for reefs to form and they will not be back in our lifetimes- coral grows to slow. Sadly that will be our last trip there. On the upside it will leave more money for visits to the Philippines and Indonesia! Fell free to contact me for any detailed information about our trip.

Thanks for your candor with real-time reporting. Indeed, it's very sad.

We Have been to Bonaire every August for the past few years and decided to go to Curacao for the first time on our way to Bonaire this year. We spent two weeks there the end of July and sadly we were very unimpressed. We rented a house near a dive shop and did the truck/air shore diving through the shop. It was pretty lame underwater with lots of dead hard coral and not much life. The diving areas were crowded with lots of classes and cruise ship visitors. I would not recommend Curacao for experienced divers. I think getting certified there or inexperienced divers would find it ok.
I have to disagree with your assessment of Curacao, you probably just didn't go to the right dive sites. We went last Oct and thought the diving was very good and plan on going back in the near future. I went to Bonaire for the first time 18 years ago and have no desire to return, it was the most boring and repetitive divng I have done.

What sites did you dive in Curacao? Thanks...:)
Playa Kalki, Playa Piskado, Playa Forti, Grote Knip, Playa Chiki, Habitat, Dive City, Tugboat Curacao, Directors bay, Barracuda Point, Pierbaai & Car Pile, Tarpon City, Kokomo Beach, Daaibooi, Double Reef, There were a few more but I don't log-these were scribbled on a piece of paper in my wife's log book. We also did a couple of dives from the back of the house we rented but I do not know the site names-Hope this helped!

When it comes to Bonaire, I simply can't believe the trip reports on this forum. It either sucks or it's awesome. Which one is it?

Whatever's written, it's all useless without video.

We are headed back to Curaçao on 9/22 for 13 days. Staying at the Royal Palm Resort in Willemstad to be central on the island making diving north or south more convenient. We have also been to Bonaire 2x and prefer Curacao for the easy entrances & convenience of the dive facilities located at most shore diving sites but are considering a trip back to Bonaire next year. When we went to Curaçao in 2023 (9/25-10/2) we stayed at Coral Estates which we would not recommend, yet others on here give it a thumbs up. We had a fabulous time diving in Curaçao last year. The sites were never crowded and there was plenty to see underwater. Our only disappointing dive in Curaçao was Playa Piskado (I think that’s the one) because we didn’t see the sea turtles that the site is known for due to the fishing boats feeding them, which is the reason we went to the site. However, any day of diving is better than a day of working (or not diving) so it didn’t spoil anything. It will be interesting to see whether we notice a detrimental difference or perhaps as with our poor view of Coral Estates, it’s a matter of personal preference, experience and what you make of it.

When we get out of this cycle and the cooler water temps return, it will help all of the Caribbean islands. It can't happen too soon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom