Quick St. Lucia Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drrich2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi:

Recently did a Royal Caribbean Adventure of the Seas southern Caribbean cruise. We docked in St. Lucia on Wednesday, January 15'th, 2014. Like a number of people on the forum, I like to book private scuba excursions. This trip I did so in St. Lucia and St. Croix.

Online reviews looked good for Scuba Steve's Diving, so I studied their web page for cruise ship visitors. They've got 2 trip options; Standard Service ($95) Standard - dives are in the Marine Reserve in the Anse Cochon area, and Premium Service ($150) - dives are by the world famous and breathtaking Pitons in Soufriere, which is home to Anse Chastanet Reef and Superman’s Flight, two of St. Lucia’s “must do” dives, and it says offers a more personal service to divers preferring small groups (max 8 divers), perhaps valuing a little extra assistance, and wanting to avoid busy “cattle boats”.

I contacted Scuba Steve's for more info. They don't have tanks larger than 80 cf. I asked:

I want to know what all is extra special about the premium package.
Takes an extra hour, so travel time = boat fuel, of course. Are the
dives near the Pitons better?

I did some checking on ScubaBoard.com; you guys appear highly
regarded and TripAdvisor gives you strong marks.

Anything else that'd be good to know?

Part of his response:

The difference between standard service and premium service is
basically location and the number of divers on the boat. The dive
sites by the Pitons are the best on the island with vibrant coral and
marine life. The additional cost of US$55 over and above standard
service reflects the additional cost to us to provide the service.
Fuel is $16.00 a gallon here and the additional distance compared to
standard service and the reduced number of people on the boat (maximum
eight divers instead of 15 on standard service), necessitates a higher
cost price.

We work very hard to maintain high levels of customer service, and
this has helped us to achieve consistent good reviews on trip advisor
and the other forums over nearly an eight year period. It is very
easy to get half a dozen five star reviews in a short period of time
but to maintain this over almost eight years indicates that we take
customer satisfaction very seriously, in fact after safety, it is our
primary concern.

So, I opted for the Premium 2-tank package. I wrote some notes later, and will add a few photos now.

We docked at Pointe Seraphine. I headed out for a 9:30 a.m. pickup by Scuba Steve’s Diving at the area where local water ferries depart. From a shore perspective, we headed out, turned left & headed up the coast line a long way, to the Pitons. While they’re distinctive, St. Lucia on the whole is very mountainous, with a lot of shore line amounting to steep cliffs. Lush, tropical vegetation makes the island very attractive.

IMG_4694_zpsfcdabdbc.jpg

IMG_4823_zps8ac4bb5c.jpg

IMG_4701_zpsd26d72be.jpg

I’m guessing there may've been more customers on the boat, but it seemed like around 6 or 8 divers were in the diving group? Hard to say, since there were 2 staff on the dives; one hunting lionfish. I saw some people snorkel between the 2 dives. My dive buddy was ‘Richard’ from Utah. We had a cup of juice, small sandwich bites and little cookie packs. It was good! For both dives, we giant strode off the boat closer to shore than any boat dive I’ve ever done. After the dives, they took us to a big vertical split in a cliff, where you could hear noisy bats and smell guano. I saw one flit around inside. We were told there were fruit bats.

Dive 1: Superman’s Flight. The Superman 2 movie was partly made here. We headed out with the island to our left, and the current was mild & we swam with it (you could call it a very mild drift dive). Sloping reef, very similar to Bonaire, where it would be a decent reef but not exceptional, and viz. was maybe 30-50 feet and it wasn’t all that fishy. Somebody saw a sea turtle, but I don’t know whether it was a diver or snorkeler. Several lion fish were speared. I found 2 banded coral shrimp and right above them I think a bristle worm. Also found a spotted moray eel. Guide pointed out a neat crab inside a sponge or coral. Max. depth was to be 60 feet, notify them when you hit 1,000 PSI. Temp. low 78 degrees per Oceanic VT3. Cool but not badly cold. Dive stat.s per my Cobalt (except temp.s): 46 min. dive, max. depth 60.87 feet, average depth 39.43 feet, temp. 78 degrees.

IMG_4702_zpsaf1f30dc.jpg

IMG_4731_zps0cc7152d.jpg

IMG_4741_zpsf4158cf2.jpg

Dive 2: Fairy Land. This site was farther back the way we’d come, and this time we swam with the island shore & reef at our right, into mild current. A substantial portion of the reef was vertical wall that ran down quite deep; impressive, beautiful, and lusher reef than Dive 1 and new for me due to the vertical ‘wall’ diving. I found 2 sharptail eels, a big scorpion fish, 4 lionfish (at least 2 got speared), and a spotted moray eel. Saw some trunkfish, including a cute juvenile. A guide pointed out a golden-tail moray, another (smaller) scorpion fish, a pretty good-sized porcupine puffer fish, a scrawled filefish in the distance, and a crab inside a sponge or coral. I saw a male stoplight parrotfish, and a blue parrotfish of some sort. It was 76 degrees per VT3; I was actually shivering some late in the dive, and that’s very unusual for me (threatened my masculinity a bit). Max. depth was to be 50 feet. Dive stat.s per my Cobalt (except temp.s): 55 min. dive, max. depth 53.40 feet, average depth 35.20 feet, temp. 76 degrees.

IMG_4750_zps81e47f41.jpg

IMG_4764_zpsde605395.jpg

IMG_4765_zps11fe546b.jpg

IMG_4802_zps160fd09d.jpg

Quite a few lionfish died on those 2 dives.

IMG_4775_zpse1370246.jpg

I think this was the Pitons:

IMG_4829_zpsfd9efe57.jpg

Here's the lower part of that big vertical split in the cliff where we heard (& smelled) the bats.

IMG_4834_zpsc50881a4.jpg

In a nutshell: Scuba Steve's did fine, the 2 dives were fun general Caribbean dives (I hear current at Superman's Flight can be stronger than what I saw), and I'm glad I dove with them.

Years ago on our honeymoon, we hit St. Lucia and did a rainforest hike. Beautiful, lush tropical greenery and I got good photos (I'm a snap shooter). Had a good time, but in places the rocks were slick. If you do that excursion, wear something that gives you good traction.

Richard.

P.S.: Pics with Canon G10 in Canon UW housing, in Underwater Scene mode. No post processing on these pics. I suspect the 2'nd 'divers at the surface' pic was in UW mode, too, since it's kinda 'red' looking, though I shot it up top, from the boat.

Really nice trip report with value to a diver, I always like reading your stuff, very well thought out and well described.

Those are the pitons, the taller one is Gros Piton and the smaller one is Petit Peton. I spent a couple of weeks on St Lucia about 20 years ago when I got married. It was my first island experience so was very special. Didn't dive back then, thanks for bring back the memories. I don't know if you guys went far enough but just in front of the Petons tucked into the island a little is Marigot Bay, where Dr Doolittle was filmed, it's one of the most picturesque places I'd ever seen at the time, looking as if every single palm tree and bush was purposefully planted in it's ideal spot to create a picture perfect, idealistic caribbean landscape. If you guys went far enough you'd remember it.

Thnx for sharing,good report

Thank you for the information drrich2, we also enjoy reading your reviews and they have helped us in Bonaire as well. We will also be visiting St Lucia from Royal Caribean and are considering putting another dive pin in the world map. Bev & Rob

Back
Top Bottom