Quick Report - Crowded Dive Sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Even though I've been diving for almost 20 years and have well over 1000 dives around the world, I'm not great at spotting things. I think I have a better chance of spotting whatever the DM points out ....

this is exactly why you are so negative about the "drop off dives" at CCV. I, on the other hand, as well as my buddy, can find things on our own. We love diving without a dive guide, looking for things... its part of diving that really makes us happy. We are very good at it and everywhere we go we impress the other divers and even the DMs when we find things. I am not bragging, just stating that some people can do it and some can't. The divers who can find things on their own enjoy diving without a DM so they are the type of divers who LOVE CCV and the drop off dives.

And yes, it is hard to see things when a DM points out a critter and all the divers rush over, elbows flying.... another moment I won't forget about Cozumel this past month. Worst, rudest divers we have been in the water with in a long, long time! ugghh. :shakehead: We didn't have any of that at CCV.... seems like the divers had manners, good bouyancy skills, and we didn't have anyone grabbing the coral either (another one of my pet peeves!).

robin:D

You are right about me not spotting things. My wife is actaully better than me. We had two divers with us last week from Spain that spent most of their time finding things by themselves but of course they missed all the seahorses. I'm sure they saw some things we didn't see of course.

Our dive guide has been diving the same dive sites for 7 or 8 years and knows exactly where many creatures hide out. I admire divers that have a good eye but I'll take the guide that knows where many things are without me looking around forever. Personal preferrence of course. I once went on a trip to Raja Ampat and our group hired a professional guide to go with us since he had specific coordinates and documentation on places to see many of the things we traveld around the world to see. The professional photographers on our trip wanted this guy and it worked out great. I think many casual divers going to Roatan would like a guide that can find that elusive seahorse for them. Some in our group last week had never spotted one in more than 200 dives.

I guess some people just like the choice of diving new sites on each dive. We could have chosen to dive the house reef many times but twice seemed like enough for us. The group actually discussed going back to a couple of sites but decided seeing new ones was more exciting. Personal preference again for this group of diverse divers from accross the US and Spain.

we saw both Fantasy Island and Coco View boats together on the same dive site. Each boat had more than 15 divers making a total of 30 or more divers on one dive site. NO THANKS.

Yup, I have to agree with your whole report that has a lot of similarities to my week at Reef House Resort in February. We also saw the 2 boats on the same dive site at the same time several times over the week. We also saw a lot of divers on each of those boats. We were very turned off by what we saw and just kept going to a much quieter dive site with no other boats with us - ever. The reef was healthy, and we actually saw more sea life than we had heard we might see. We were pleasantly surprised.

Since the resort only has 11 rooms, nothing is crowded. The owners eat the same meals with you, they accommodate likes and dislikes as well as restrictions, the food is excellent, the owners make an effort to get to know you personally, and are very involved in making sure you are enjoying yourself. It is quiet and secluded, and may not appeal to everyone. We worried that it would not appeal to us and that we might get bored, but again, we were pleasantly surprised.

The diving couldn't be easier. Your gear stays in the locked huge walk-in ventilated gear locker and actually dries overnight. The tanks are filled and ready for you on the boat. The boat is steps from the gear locker. The boats are comfy and uncrowded. To exit the water, they have a dive platform that you sit on - so easy. The rinse tank is steps from the boat as well. The DM, Daveet, is fabulous and finds all the cool little stuff that most people would probably miss.

We also had an awesome time at Reef House Resort and highly recommend it! :)

I arrived on Saturday 4-18 for a week at Reef House. Seas were a bit rough for a couple of days but now they are nearly flat. Diving has been the best in years.

We ventured a bit west the last two days and I now why I'm staying at and recommending Reef House. Both time we saw both Fantasy Island and Coco View boats together on the same dive site. Each boat had more than 15 divers making a total of 30 or more divers on one dive site. NO THANKS.

We've had 6 divers a couple of days and 8 on another couple of days. When we head east we never see another boat. Diving spots are clean and in great shape. Since Reef House is just about the only dive operation diving east of Reef House, there is no pressue on the reef. Things are just in much better shape than the sites to the west were other boats now venture.

Our plane was about an hour late getting in and Reef House fixed us lunch anyway at about 3:00. All the food has been good and plentiful. The night dive was great with a nice snack waiting when we returned.

Hopefully I can file a full report next week.

Thanks for your post. I will be at Reef House 5-9 -5-24. 15 days of dive dive. This is my frist trip to Roatan. I can,t wait.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom