'Quick Release' waist mount for canister light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rbruen

Reaction score
I have a Halcyon Helios 9 - with both 18W and 10W heads.

I used to wear the canister upside down on my BP, but have recently switched to a more 'conventional' switch-up right hand side waist mount.

My problem is - I don't like leaving the canister on my belt when transporting etc. - I'd prefer to have the thing safely tucked away in my crate. Being lazy, I also don't like undoing all the hardware on my belt to slide the canister off when I want to store it.

Question: has anyone come up with a neat way of attaching the light using a Pony Tamer or perhaps double d-rings and dog clips?

What hardware do you have in front of your canister light? I don't have anything on mine other than the belt buckle that holds the canister in place and keeps it from sliding around.

I'm curious too - same setup as wendy. Takes 1 second to slip the light on and off and another to slip the extra belt buckle that keeps it solidly in place and 1 more second to clip unclip the light head to/from the shoulder strap d ring. (i may be off by a few seconds, but not many :) )

My first dive with it i tried to mount it rightside up but couldnt reach the switch. After that, went to updside down and all has been well since.

My waste belt is just from the typical halcyon rigging though - if yours is different you may have other stuff on there. My only hardware is on the left side though, belt buckle, dring and knife.

steve

Okay..... perhaps the term 'all the hardware' is a slight exaggeration.... I just have one triglide with a captured d-ring. It provides an anchor point and (as you say) stops the light sliding off.

Perhaps I'm just not as super-coordinated as you folks though... 'cos I still find it a PITA to slide that stuff off :)

Question still stands for anyone out there who's as fumbly as me....

rbruen once bubbled...
Okay..... perhaps the term 'all the hardware' is a slight exaggeration.... I just have one triglide with a captured d-ring. It provides an anchor point and (as you say) stops the light sliding off.

Perhaps I'm just not as super-coordinated as you folks though... 'cos I still find it a PITA to slide that stuff off :)

Question still stands for anyone out there who's as fumbly as me....

Remove all of the "hardware" from the right side of your waist strap. Slide the light on and use a simple weightbelt buckle to hold it in place so it doesnt slide off. Put the d-ring and triglide on your left side unless of course you already have a d-ring on that side.

lal7176 is correct, all you need on the right side is a buckle to prevent the light from sliding off. No D-rings on the right side of your waist buckle.

Back
Top Bottom