quick question on using difusser on Ikelite DS125

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ssra30

Reaction score
Hi, plan to do diving in a couple of days with my new DS 125 strobe with TTL sensor. Quick question, when Do I need to use the diffuser that came with the DS 125. My understanding is that it will give a little more flash dispersion to 100 degree instead of 90. However when I guess it will not help much anyway since if I want to do wide angle shot, most subject would be too far for the flash to be helpful anyway. Secondly if for some reason the flash is too strong, I can always just reduce the flash power rather than trying to put the diffuser on. So, is there any real use for this difuser thing? Thanks for any info.

The YS90DX came with a diffuser but it doesn't have the fiber optic connection in it. One of the guys on DigitalDiver has a fix for that. Look here for diffuser

I use the diffuser to soften the strobe light. Since I only use 1 strobe, anytime I don't want strong shadows I'll use the diffuser. I'll also open the f/stop up to compensate for the small loss.

I left my difuser on the ds125 while shooting all of my pictures in Bonaire. I was suprised by the good quality of light and the lack of shadows especially in macro mode. As for wide angle photography, You are suppose to set exposure for the background and use the strobe to fill in the foreground. A diffuser should widen the pattern and soften the light.

Patrick

Thanks for the info. I think for my first trip, I will keep the diffuser on since most of the dives will not be all that deep and the water condition is supposed to be really clear.

One final question though, I assume that the diffuser will change to color temp a bit so for deeper dive, say 60 ft and deeper, the diffuser will probably not be helpful. I still hate the idea of keep putting it on and off while diving with my dive gloves on. Any thought?

I really did not notice any color shift or temperture difference with the diffuser. What is important is the distance to the subject not the water depth or the ambiant light. Always try to keep the distance less than three feet. The strobe brings back the color by lighting up the area. the Key is to reduce the distance of the water colum to the subject. You can even take pictures at night as long as you have a flash or a strobe. Here is a picture taken with a point and shoot camera and a built in flash (no external strobe). The visability was only 3 feet and it was taken at night. The diffuser is not hard to handle even with gloves unless you are diving with 6mil gloves. Keeping a lanyard tied with the diffuser and the strobe should help to keep the diffuser handy and from getting lost.

Patrick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom