Quick Question about Batteries in Princeton Tec 40

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yerba Mate

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey, just wondering if anyone out there knows the answer to this question.

I have a Tec 40 as a backup light, and in my lights I like to use NiMH Batteries. I've used all different types in my UK C4 and they work great, but I put in some Rayovac NiMH's into my Tec 40 and they didn't work.

Now I've heard of this before...Sometime batteries don't work, since the way the unit connects to the terminals of the batteries. And Rayovac's have flat neg terminals. I've heard that Energizer does as well. Looking into the Tec 40 I can see that where it contacts the battery could pose a problem.

Does anybody know if there are any NiMH's that work in a Tec 40? would it be a better idea just to get a little spring and put it down the light to make a contact?

Ok, so I started playing with my batteries just after posting that.
All I did was add a piece of small diameter copper wire to the end of the battery and taped it on. There was only one battery that posed a problem.
Now it seems to work ok. Simple solution to a simple problem.

I just folded up a small piece of Aluminum foil and dropped it in. Works great. Actually, the newer PT40 doensn't seem to have this problem any more (at least my newer one doesn't).

I run NiMh and a Mag Xenon Star 3 cell lamp. Very bright. I expected the lamp to go pretty quickly (Xenons don't over drive well), but this one has been going a while. The 4 cell Xenon Star and E91 Lithiums is also very bright, and really light weight.

Aloha, iG

Back
Top Bottom