Quick Palau trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A question for those with experience: How long should the line on the reef hook be?

I make my reef hook lines about 6 ft long and find that works out to be more stable than shorter lengths. 16/0 or 14/0 stainless steel fishing hooks with the pointy tip cut off and filed smooth work well. I use 1/8" dyneema line and splice loops on both ends to make assembly easy (and no knots to come undone)

I went with 6' too. I can always throw a butterfly loop into it if it's too long.

Someone posted on TripAdvisor that Jellyfish lake was open, but I have been unable to confirm. Matador, did you see this on TripAdvisor too, or somewhere else? Thanks.

It is technically open but most dive operators have agreed to not take any trips there because of the reduced population of the jellyfish.

There is also a possibility of visiting one of the other jelly fish lakes. You would need someone to assist you in getting permission from the Koror government, not the easiest thing but it really depends on who is helping you and who they know personally, and that is really the biggest hurdle. It also helps to have a valid sounding reason to want to go other than "I just want to see jellyfish." Next, you would have to be in great shape because the path is a bit treacherous since it is not cleared and involves climbing up and then down the side of the rock island and the possibility of crocodiles in the lake, in short, you need to be in great shape because it will be a serious adventure. If you have the fortitude and good fortune to go though, it is well worth it since it is very rarely seen by anyone.

It is typically referred to as the "other" jellyfish lake. It does have jellyfish. I have been there twice. Once in the '80s and once more recently. There are a total of 5 jellyfish lakes I believe. The one that is open to visiting has paved walkway and steps and hand rails and such.. The other one is a completely wild jungle trek. The rest are smaller and need much more climbing through jungle and over jagged rock islands and you would be hard pressed to get someone to even take you there if you could get permission.

Back
Top Bottom