Quick ATX 50 Assembly Question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gasweenie

Reaction score
I have a quick newbie question about setting up my ATX 50 octopus. Specifically I need some help connecting the hose to the second stage. I see that there is an O-ring on the inside of the metal sheath at end of the hose (the end that connects to the second stage). Am I supposed to apply lube on this as well? Its pretty hard to get to...From there I assume I finger-tighten and do a slight crank of the wrench to connect it to the second stage...Any clarification is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

-Kevin

Mine worked well for over a year without adding any lube. Try it without adding any and see if you get a leak. I have just however replaced this o-ring on several LP hoses, and used a little O2 lube to shiny up the o-ring before installing.

The new thought is that you shouldn't use any silicone grease on your regs, so grab some O2 stuff. A half ounce will last most divers several years.

Just a tiny nip with the correct spanners is required - no need to crank it down tight. Some people leave the regs fingertight so that they can be swapped underwater with stage tanks if you have a reg fail, but for recreational diving, it's better to have it on slightly tight so you don't have to worry about it coming loose.

The o-ring size is 010 if you ever need to replace it. That particular o-ring is almost impossible to remove without damaging.

Scubaroo once bubbled...
That particular o-ring is almost impossible to remove without damaging.

The o-ring is a little difficult compared to others, but it can be removed with a pick. I don't usually add lube to this o-ring as it is static and does not move during use...

:doctor:
From the Tech Manual for Apeks regs. You should lube the O ring in question. Idealy with cristo-lube or some other O2 compatable lube. There is some movement at that joint, every time you move your head from side to side

Gee guys, if it's the O-ring I think he's speaking of, it certainly IS a dynamic o-ring.

Not AS DYNAMIC as some, but since it's the seal that allows the reg to "swirl" on the hose, it is considered dynamic.

I would suggest giving it a light lube (As suggested, Christo-Lube). If you don't. it won't leak for quite a while, but you'll find it'll wear quicker, leaving a yucky black "dust" which is the o-ring material wearing off.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom