Quick ? About Macro Lenses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rickeyf413

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
If you were going on a dive trip and could only bring one macro lens and you choice is either a Canon 60mm or Canon 100mm which would you choose? And why?

It depends on what you want to shoot.

I shoot Nikon, but I think the macro lenses work pretty much the same.

The 60 macro is a great lens. It focuses fast. With a full frame camera, it works on small subjects on up to angel fish. To get true macro, you often have to get really close. Many subjects will not tolerate that. Also you are so close , that you can block your own strobes. This lens is my go tokens for night dives.

The Nikon 105 tends to search on focusing which can be vexing. You also have a really narrow depth of field. If you are in surge, life is tough. But if you nail the subject, the shallow field really makes it stand out.

You are pretty much locked into small subjects. It is a great lens for small, shy critters like butterfly fish and damsel fish and bennies and gobies and sea horses. Also if you want to do super macro, this is the lens.

Now if you are shooting a crop sensor and want to do close ups, but not true macro, and larger subjects, you might think of the sigma 17-70 macro lens. It is quite versatile.

Assuming you are talking cropped-sensor (APSC) camera body, the 60 mm is more versatile. The 100 mm is quite long on a cropped sensor, so great for super-macro, but you will be limited to really small stuff, say 2 cm or smaller. With the 60 mm, you can back off a bit and do fish portraits.

Thanks guys for the info it's a lot to consider. Yes, it's a cropped sensor I'm shooting a T2i. I'm heading to Fiji for a 7 day live-aboard trip so yes I'm taking a wide-angle lens, Tokina 10-17mm, and I'm going to bring the 60mm for sure based on the feedback and night dives but I may also try to squeeze in the 100mm if I can fit it in and under the wait limit for carry-on

thanks again for the help

If you are not shooting with a diopter then take the 60, but what I would do (after a trip to the bank) is to sell the Canon 60 and buy the Tamron 60 and a 1.4 teleconverter. That setup (60+1.4) is really sweet on a Canon.
Bill

Something to consider... My go-to macro lens is a 60mm (on a cropped sensor). It's great for many small beasties as well as a lot of other stuff. I added a +5 wet diopter last year and it's a great combination. I keep the diopter in my pocket, pop it on when I need it, and take it off again when I don't.... And the thing weighs maybe 4 ounces and slides in anyplace...

Disclaimer: I'm a Nikon guy, but my advice would be the same regardless... ;-)

I love the 100mm canon macro. That said it isn't an easy lens to shoot. The 60 is easier I think. bvanant, what port do you use for the Tamron and tele converter?

On the Nauticam housing the 60 macro port with a 30 mm extension.
Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom