Quick 2-3 Minute Survey on Diving & Percieved Risk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi again!

First off, I want to thank you all for your responses, I honestly didn't expect to get so many and I'm really grateful to all of you for taking the time to do so and especially the feedback I was given. I read all the responses and it's really heartwarming to be a part of such a supportive community! In response to some of the questions raised, I used 'risk' and 'danger' interchangeably and see in hindsight how providing more clarity on what specifically I meant by them would be helpful, as each sport involve many different scenarios leaving the words open to interpretation. In order to keep it concise but more clear, I think I'd stick to one term going forward and provide a brief definition, as well as provide anchors explaining my scaling options as suggested, so thank you again for all your feedback!

If you're interested in the reason behind this survey, I've provided an explanation below:

This study was a pretty short-term project, assigned for a 1 semester class, and the goal of they survey was to compare the public perception of diving to that of people with firsthand experience with it (basically what TMHeimer said). Our assignment was to prove or disprove an assumption held about a certain group on our campus, and I chose to focus on our Scuba Diving club; since it was small however, I reached out here to gather a wider sample. My intention was to see if non-divers perceived diving to be more dangerous than divers themselves did, and based of this data to argue that diving can be much less dangerous than people perceive it to be. This being due to the fact that, although in certain circumstances the health-effects can be extreme, for those staying well within safe limits and with proper mitigation of risks, it can be very safe! The data I've gathered from your responses and others supports this too :wink:

Thanks again!!

Hello!

My name is Julia Stallings and I'm student at Virginia Tech. Currently, I'm working on a research project surrounding public perception of the risk involved in diving and other sports (for a class), and have been trying to gather more responses from people who have experience diving, as that demographic is much smaller at my school than with most other sports. If you have a few minutes and could take this really quick survey that would help so much! It should take at most 2-3 minutes, and since the questions are very broad you don't have to worry about your responses too much, it's definitely relative to the individual- here's the link:

Perceived Risk Levels in Various Physical Activities:

I'm relatively new to diving and to this forum, so if there are any recommendations you have I'd love to hear them as well!! Thank you all for your time. :)
Liked your forms - please let us know the results. Not living in USA football to me means something else so that one's a bit country specific. As an aside I went with a friend and our two sons skateboarding about ten years back. He ended up breaking both legs. So skateboarding is up there for me lol.

Not living in USA football to me means something else so that one's a bit country specific.

Utterly missed that one, sorry.

In my opinion, based on what I've watched and read, much of the accidents with diving have been caused by people going out of their experience and training level. Be smart, and you'll likely have a long life of diving ahead of you.
:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom