Questions to ask shops about their air fills?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

liberato

Reaction score
By accident of location I am blessed with 5 local dive shops. I was thinking of making a comparison chart of the air fill services of all of them. I pretty much know the basic questions to ask but was wondering what more obscure questions I ought to be aware of to make the responses valuable to more people. What details are important to you? Also, are there national standards for purity and what agency certifies that? Are they supposed to get the air tested regularly? Thanks for any info.

• How often do they test their air?
  • Will they let you see the last years worth of test results?
  • If they pump nitrox, do they blend or use a membrane?
  • If they blend nitrox or trimix, what grade of O2 and He do they use?
  • What training and experience do they require of those that fill tanks?
  • When were the filters last changed on the system?
  • Is their gas hyperfiltered (modified Grade E)?
  • How often is the compressor serviced?
  • Are the bank bottles in current visual and hydro?
  • Do they wet-fill tanks?
  • Do they hot-fill tanks?
Just off the top of my head, I've probably forgotten something.

Here's some ideas for your comparison chart.

1.) Find out what their "air quality" is. I think they can have something like A,B,C, or D quality air. You can also find out how often they test their air (90 days, etc). I'm not sure if by law they are required to test the air at a regular period or not. Also might want to note if they are using a gas/diesel compressor as sometimes fumes on those types of compressors tend to get in the air intake.

2.) Nitrox Capability (Pre mixed banks or partial blending). Percentage available. (This may seem odd, but some places only do 32% if they have it pre mixed).

3.) Do they do fills on DIN tanks (instead of just Yoke/K valves). I'm sure they do, but you might find a smaller shop that doesn't.

4.) Price for air fill, price for Nitrox fill, price for doubles or pony bottle.

5.) Might as well include price for Visuals or tank cleaning or nitrox cleaning and also hydro's (if you want a good comparison table for "all tank services)

7.) What type of filtration system they have?

7.) Post Any known compressor problems. For example, two of our local shops had diesel compressors and people told us of gas fumes in the tanks. One other local shop has oil leaks in their compressor every now and then or doesn't have good "filtration" system.

8.) I'd also post the rates of their rental tanks (air and nitrox)

9.) Also the hours they open to give air fills. Very important on saturday
morning if you have an empty tank and need to get it filled before a dive
that day.

10.) Do they have a volume discount program such as a pre-paid "Air Fill card" or a value customer punch card where if you get 10 fills then your next one is free?

That might be too much stuff you want to put on your comparison chart, but all might be good ideas. You can pick and choose though as you like

-mike

I meant to add if they do Tri-Mix.

Also compressor age is a nice thing to know. I know of a few shops in my area that are using compressors that were put out of service by the military in WWII or Korea but have found life again in local dive shops. Not that there is anything wrong with a 50 year old compressor, but I'd guess the new ones have less tendancy to have oil leaks and provide better air.

mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom