Questions RE: Canon/Ikelite upgrade

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

naimis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've been diving with a Canon G9, the Canon housing, and an Ikelite DS-51 for about two years now. On my latest trip, to the Flower Gardens Banks NMS, I found myself getting a little frustrated with the setup and am thinking of upgrading.

Specifically, I'm looking at replacing the Canon housing with the Ikelite housing. The primary motivator for this is to get the TTL strobe driver, as the optical slave that I've been using frequently resulted in overexposed pictures (for a while, I tried sticking my hand in front of the built-in flash, which helped, and I also tried putting a DAN sticker I found on the boat over the Canon diffuser to make it more opaque, which also helped, but neither are what I'd consider good long-term solutions).

Basically, I'm fishing for comments about the Ikelite G9 housing. The description on their web site indicates that the timer button is not accessible, though the photo shows that there is a button there (apparently the photo is the G7 housing, as the camera inside looks different). I don't use the timer for underwater photos but I would think not having the down button would be a bit of a hassle. Anyone have any comments about that? (The Canon housing doesn't support the jog dial, but I've worked around that by using the shortcut button)

What about buoyancy? Is it positive or negative or neutral with the DS-51? With the Canon housing and DS-51, that setup is pretty negative, and I'm not keen on banging my camera around.

The other big problem I had was that the DS-51 has no modeling light, and I hadn't taped my UK mini Q40 to the strobe like I sometimes do.

I use the canon G10 with the canon housing along with a iKelite ds-51 strobe and manual controller. It's a perfectly good set-up.

For controlling the flash:

I used black electrical tape around the diffuser and two pieces of electrical tape on the canon housing over the onboard flash (17 dives in 6 days and it held great) with just enough flash exposed out of the left side so the manual controller will pick it up. On the flash settings within the camera, I set it to it's lowest setting.

Then depending on the photo composition, I adjust the level on the strobe itself, on Macro I turn the dial to it's lowest setting and then for like a good sized angel fish I turn the dial to a setting near the top.

In this situation, IMO, I believe it's really about learning to control the flash. Even with TTL you can still get washed out photos or photos to dark by allowing the camera to decide what's best.

Also, if you don't already, start tinkering with the all manual modes. The canon housing for my G10 is really easy for controlling aperture and shutter speeds on the fly.

Hope this helps, but if you decide to go with the ikelite housing the only thing I have heard that you lose a little of the wide angle. But I think they have an adapter to help restore that.

~Jonas

I have a thread on here with recent pics using the explained techniques. "Key Largo Pics 2009"

I generally use a Canon G9 with an Ikelite housing and I think it's a pretty good set-up for the price.

Bouyancy is pretty good and I find all the functions are easy to control. I would strongly recommend getting the Ikelite flat port that fits this model (details on the Ikelite website), as this allows you to attach a wide-angle lens, making a big difference to the abilities and scope of the set-up. The main down-side that I find a little irritating is the boxy shape. If you are lazy and have a habit of taking photos one-handed (like me), then housing is lacking a little grip.

I don't have experience with the strobe set-up, but I do use an Inon strobe with a fibre optic cable with no issues and the ability exists to control the strengh of the flash on the G9 if you haven't already played with that.

If you want to spend a little more, there are also housings for the G9 by Patima and Sea&Sea.

So can you confirm that the timer button is not accessible? I use the flexizone AF mode and not having that button available would make it pretty much impossible to use that mode.

The timer button is available. I also use the flexizone AF mode without any problems. You actually have two options to move the flexizone around. You can use up, down, left and right (MF, Timer, Macro, Flash buttons) or you can use the dial, which is also available on the Ikelite housing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom