Questions from novice about camera choice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"t's not always true that a better camera will improve your photos in the way you would like."

Scott: You shouldn't tell her that, but it is certainly true in my case.
Donna:
As Scott says, tell us what you would like to do, look at Scott's site and his pics, look at mine and see what you would like to do. As for price, you can get a G10 and a Canon housing for $600 total and you will have a killer system. Other cameras like the current Olympus versions (tough 8000) can be had at 12 MP with housing for $500 or so.
Let us know

thank you so much guys. i will take a look at your pics and get back to ya. right now, i just got up and have to hurry and jump in the shower. I have a new job, and cannot get on the internet at work now.......so.......give me a few days, then i'll get back to this thread.......so be watching ok? either that or i'll PM ya. thanks so much!!

Where can one get aforementioned Cannon G10+housing for $600? Sounds like a great price to me.

What kind of flash/strobe will work with it? Pointers?

I am by no means an expert, but I do enjoy shooting pics. I've got about $1500 into my setup, but I have seen some really great deals on full set-ups right here on scubaboard. I am using the oly 350 with single ys110 strobe.
I really would lke to see Donna's pics, too. I used to use an older camera in a fantasea housing and a really cheap strobe. I got some awesome pics with that camera setup- BUT it was after I learned the importance of good strobe placement and settings. That and a cheap slave fiber optic cable made a HUGE difference! Too be honest, had the latch not busted on the housing I probably would still be using that set-up, although you can't pry me away from my 350 now!

Hi. Let me start with this.....I'm a middle aged woman, and am one of those people who know just enough about how to use their cell phone, DVR, computer, etc. to get by in life, ok? So, with cameras i'm even worse about learning how to use features, etc. So.........i really want to be just a "Point and Shoot" girl okay? So for underwater pics........I currently have a Sealife Reefmaster Mini, with the digital pro flash strobe. (and to keep things easy/simple, i set the strobe on Auto) We just got back from vacation.....diving on Bonaire, and i guess i would say my pics came out halfway decent for the extreme novice that I am. I'm thinking the reefmaster mini is only going to give me pictures of a certain level of quality, as it is a fairly inexpensive camera.......am i correct? I'm thinking of upgrading by next summer. I like the fact that Sealife cameras do not require a housing as the housing and camera are one unit........REALLY like that, and I do not have the budget for getting into serious level stuff. So........would i get significantly better pics by keeping my digital strobe, and upgrading my camera to a more expensive/better Sealife camera? and which one would you suggest for a simple girl as myself? thank you so much

I had 2 Sealife cameras. Both leaked after a just a few dives. (2 dives and 8 dives)

And no it was not from poor 'O' ring maint on my part.

I had 3 Nikonos for many years with no trouble. Problem was I took poor photos with my Nikons.

Sealife ruined 2 dive trips for me. Had the possibility of taking some really nice photos, shark dives, wrecks, etc. Too much heartache with Sealife. Will never buy another Sealife product.

Back
Top Bottom