Questions from novice about camera choice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

donnad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi. Let me start with this.....I'm a middle aged woman, and am one of those people who know just enough about how to use their cell phone, DVR, computer, etc. to get by in life, ok? So, with cameras i'm even worse about learning how to use features, etc. So.........i really want to be just a "Point and Shoot" girl okay? So for underwater pics........I currently have a Sealife Reefmaster Mini, with the digital pro flash strobe. (and to keep things easy/simple, i set the strobe on Auto) We just got back from vacation.....diving on Bonaire, and i guess i would say my pics came out halfway decent for the extreme novice that I am. I'm thinking the reefmaster mini is only going to give me pictures of a certain level of quality, as it is a fairly inexpensive camera.......am i correct? I'm thinking of upgrading by next summer. I like the fact that Sealife cameras do not require a housing as the housing and camera are one unit........REALLY like that, and I do not have the budget for getting into serious level stuff. So........would i get significantly better pics by keeping my digital strobe, and upgrading my camera to a more expensive/better Sealife camera? and which one would you suggest for a simple girl as myself? thank you so much

Suggestions:

Weight the camera so that it is neutrally bouyant. Try 2 lbs. Without the camera being neutrally bouyant, it is going to be in constant motion upwards. Motion = bad photos.

Important: When taking a photo, hold the camera in a way that your hands are touching each other (I cradle one hand within the other). Your hands need to be supporting each other, and the camera at the same time.

Do not hold the camera by the strobe arm with one hand and push the button with one finger of the other hand. This will cause significant movement of the camera.

When you are pushing the button, there needs to be an equal and opposing force (provided by your hands) on the opposite side of the camera. In other words, support your camera, with your hands, on the opposite and opposing side of the button, in order to keep the camera steady.

Get close to your subject. Add a close up lens if needed.

Anticipate the perfect moment and in a very slowly and steady manner, press the trigger. Keeping the camera still is one of the critical factors of good photos.

Angle the strobe so that the bounce back light does not go into the lens.

Hope this helps. It has helped significantly improved my photos.

It's not clear to me that Lees answer is to donna's question. My advice is to get the ultimate camera that you want and not go through 6 steps to get there. Depends a lot on your budget and desires. The Sealife is a good camera and the strobe will be adequate. Keep shooting
Bill

Bill is correct, I think Lee posted in the wrong forum :)

It's not always true that a better camera will improve your photos in the way you would like.

Maybe you can post a couple of your photos, then post a couple photos you *wish* you took from other people, and we can discuss what equipment is needed to take the kind of shots you'd like to get.

Hi Donna - If you want a bigoted suggestion I would vote for a Panasonic TZ3 or its latest incarnation. I examined Point and shoot cameras before buying a DSLR and this camera seemed to produce great shots for a reasonable price. This is the link to a review with pictures that I thought were excellent for a small camera. Panasonic underwater housing review

My partner will buy one after we have gotten over the $$$$ shock of all the bits and pieces I needed for my DSLR.

Good luck!

From what I've seen, Sealife cameras suck big time compared to other cams of the same price range. I'd say get a Canon point and shoot with a housing and continue using your strobe. (Disclaimer: I don't shoot Canon and have no conflict of interest whatsoever.)

I bought a SeaLife DC800 that locked up several times. I sent it to Sealife through my LDS over 2 months ago.

Nothing back yet.

The jury is still out.

Hello! Im looking at Lumix ZS3/TZ7.
Anyone tried this cam? & how are d pics underwater?

Last edited:
thanks everyone for your help. that's a bummer if sealife cameras are questionable quality.........on my reefmaster mini i have really enjoyed the fact that you don't have a separate housing. Buying a camera that costs.......i don't know.......say $500, then buying a housing for it that's........i don't know........several hundred more? or perhaps the housing costs as much as the camera in many cases??........and maybe this isn't true........please tell me........but it seems like it's a given that it is going to flood........not if, only when seems to be the question...........so, unless you've insured the camera and housing against flooding, then you're out all that money. (what does it cost to insure against flooding?) This really concerns me cause spending $1000 on a camera and housing...........certainly quite a luxury item in my case..........only to know that odds are it's going to flood at some point...........i'm not likin that:) Am i correct, that I'm looking at probably $1000 for a decent enough Canon and housing for good point and shoot? thank you so very much all you kind people here!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom