Questions about white balance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I shoot RAW, and don't worry about it much. I have used sand. ANY white chunk of plastic works, and I like the idea of the for sale sign. No need to pay $25 for a card as that is likely about what they would charge.

I went to the hardware and bought one of those plastic FOR SALE signs like you would put in the window of a car. Cut out a small rectangle and use the back of it. Nice clean white surface and fits in my BCD pocket. Cost $.59.

I was in the hardware store today and picked up a few white paint chips. I think they will work fine but I'm not certain they will last for more than a few dives. As usual, you get what you pay for!

Tried this out in pool session yesterday. I attached a 4" x 6" piece of white plastic to the top of my jet fin. I could easily do a white balance off of it (UW video). So now plan on using underwater paint and apply to fin. I'll easily be able to do a very quick WB as I descend to dive instead of futsing with cards or spending time locating a sand patch. Plus it'll be easy to redo at different depths as needed.

WhiBal cards are waterproof and worked well for me so far.

I like light gray better than white because white overexposes too easily (and I don't like changing settings just for a balance shot).

(And yes, price is insane - but relatively to what I spent in dive gear and photo gear, it's negligible).

I just bought a pair of White Lightening Mantaray fins. I hope to try them out this weekend.

I did go ahead and paint a large white rectangle on the top of my black fin. Absolutely works like a charm! Was able to WB at several depths and in different lighting conditions easily.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom