Questions about white balance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OUScubaGrad07

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I currently have a Canon SD870 IS and was wondering if anyone knows where I can get a white balance card that will work well with it?

Is there a type made specifically for underwater use? Also will I be able to use the same white balance card on land as well?

I just use the palm of my hand for white balance. There are lots of folks who use one of the slates that take a pencil to write on.
Bill

I just use the palm of my hand for white balance. There are lots of folks who use one of the slates that take a pencil to write on.
Bill
@bvanant: Are you usually wearing neoprene or dry gloves? I ask because I have yet to see gloves with a white palm. It's an interesting idea, though. Hmmm. Perhaps palms that are a mid-neutral gray might work. I think Henderson Hyperstretch gloves have those but they include a bunch of black in the palm pattern, too.
I have considered taping the back end of my primary light (Princeton Tec Schockwave eLED) with white "electrical" tape. I think it would work pretty well.
Alternatively, I guess I could brush the back end of the light with white paint.
Currently I strap a small white slate on my left forearm. It's a little annoying to get on and off, but it does the job.
I have one friend who uses his compass face to white balance. He says that it seems to work.
The other idea that I had was to use the flash diffuser, so long as the tether is long enough and you can get it in front of the lens. It might be kind of a pain to pop it in and out of its holder, though.

More than one way to skin a cat...

I currently have a Canon SD870 IS and was wondering if anyone knows where I can get a white balance card that will work well with it?

Is there a type made specifically for underwater use? Also will I be able to use the same white balance card on land as well?

First of all, I am definitely an amateur uw photographer so I consider myself a diver that sometimes takes snapshots underwater. However, I have a A720 and usually just point at a patch of sand. Otherwise, I just point at my slate. I don't have a true white balance card. I've read on another site of someone saying that they manually focus on a pringles lid then set WB. i'll have to try that trick!

First of all, I am definitely an amateur uw photographer so I consider myself a diver that sometimes takes snapshots underwater. However, I have a A720 and usually just point at a patch of sand. Otherwise, I just point at my slate. I don't have a true white balance card. I've read on another site of someone saying that they manually focus on a pringles lid then set WB. i'll have to try that trick!

i've heard the sand trick before...however my problem is that most of my diving is lake diving in Oklahoma where most of the bottoms of the lakes are dark silt.

i've heard the sand trick before...however my problem is that most of my diving is lake diving in Oklahoma where most of the bottoms of the lakes are dark silt.

Oh. I was thinking ocean dives. Well, maybe a standard dive slate would work for you or try the pringle can! I've seen grey and white cards available for sale on photo equipment websites.

Last edited:
Oh. I was thinking ocean dives. Well, maybe a standard dive slate would work for you or try the pringle can! I've seen grey and white cards available for sale on photo equipment websites.

In a pinch, I've even used a buddy's tank as a stop gap until a better shot at the reference came along.

I just use a white patch of sand or a light colored piece of coral....

I went to the hardware and bought one of those plastic FOR SALE signs like you would put in the window of a car. Cut out a small rectangle and use the back of it. Nice clean white surface and fits in my BCD pocket. Cost $.59.

as others have mentioned, i use the sandy bottom or a dive slate. I do have gloves with a white palm although i have never used them for white balance.

I have also heard of putting white tape on the end of one of your fins to use for white balance.

Ryan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom