Questions about wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mcclete22

Reaction score
I am a new diver, and live in Utah, which means not alot of diving in warmer waters. I have only ever worn a wet suit twice in my life so I know nothing about them. I do know that because of my location I will need a full body suit. I used a Bare brand wetsuit that was a 7/6 on my last two dives and it was pretty nice, but I am looking at purchasing a wet suit for myself and would like any info, suggestions, comments, or thoughts. I know Bare makes wetsuits, and I have read in dive magazines about Henderson suits, but I don't know anything about suit types, sizes, difference in thickness, makers, or features, so any help or advice is greatly appreciated!
I am not sure if it makes a difference in cost or anything but I am about 6'3", and about 260, kind of a bigger guy.
Mick

mcclete22:
I am a new diver, and live in Utah, which means not alot of diving in warmer waters. I have only ever worn a wet suit twice in my life so I know nothing about them. I do know that because of my location I will need a full body suit. I used a Bare brand wetsuit that was a 7/6 on my last two dives and it was pretty nice, but I am looking at purchasing a wet suit for myself and would like any info, suggestions, comments, or thoughts. I know Bare makes wetsuits, and I have read in dive magazines about Henderson suits, but I don't know anything about suit types, sizes, difference in thickness, makers, or features, so any help or advice is greatly appreciated!
I am not sure if it makes a difference in cost or anything but I am about 6'3", and about 260, kind of a bigger guy.
Mick

Bare makes a good product and has pricing that makes for an excellent value. I have 2 of their suits and 2 vests not to mention gloves and socks.

All of this has been written before but I feel like writing so here's wetsuit 101 according to Pete.

*In wetsuits fit is everything. It wants to fit like a second skin, a slight hint of compression is a good thing. It must not help you exhale and you must have full range of motion.

*Your body will tolerate wetness in your wetsuit. The fit must not allow for a volume of water that can slosh and migrate. Water is NOT an insulator. Seals in the forearm and calf areas are a good feature.

*The insulation if a wetsuit comes from gas bubbles entraped in the neoprene rubber. The will compress with depth and have less insulation value. At depth the suit will flatten and feel a bit looser. Over time this flattening will cause a reduction i insulation and a looser fit. This is most noticable if you do lots of deeper dives.

*I am partial to wearing a full suit since it provides on continuous membrane. You can then add a corewarmer vest perhaps with an integrated hood. Styles and weights vary. Some are best worn under the suit, some over. All can be seen at www.bare.com or www.divetank.com

*You can buy online if you have lot's of time to waste or feel lucky. Sizes and measurements won't tell the whole story. www.divetank.com offers great buys. For you the shipping time to Utah is less of a hardship if you need to make exchanges. There is a whole thread about how swell these folks are.

Remember fit is everything, stay warm.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom