Questions about the US Navy SEALs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thrillhouse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
As I diver I've naturally found the SEALs interesting in how they incorporate scuba with, well, incredibly risky and badass special forces tactics. I watched some interesting youtube videos about their training and it's utterly unreal... Great to check out for anyone who's certified.

I know there are quite a few ex-navy Americans here as well as other people knowledgeable about such things so I figured I'd post my questions here. First of all, how do the SEALs operate once on land if they're in a cold water environment? Carrying military gear must be tough enough as is, but I can't imagine trying to conduct operations properly while wearing a 36lbs of lead, a drysuit, a bunch of neoprene, and a BCD. Do they leave it at their exit point and then suit back up after completion of their operation? What if they need to get out in a hurry? It takes a fair amount of time to suit up, especially in pitch black when you're being shot at.

Also, does anyone know what gear/brands they wear specifically? I remember seeing something about the SEALs using those very cool Oceanic-brand masks with the built-in computer display. Neat to see. Also, how common is it for them to conduct operations via scuba? I suppose most of their stuff is land-based in Iraq and Afghanistan, but it seems the scuba element is what they're very famous for.

Anyway, would be great to get some answers and even here some interesting stories/facts.

I am sure that much of what you are asking (especially tactics and training) are classified. You find books about how they did it years ago. Current docrine is off limits for a number of common sense reasons.

I would think that helo, or boat extraction would be the norm.

As I diver I've naturally found the SEALs interesting in how they incorporate scuba with, well, incredibly risky and badass special forces tactics. I watched some interesting youtube videos about their training and it's utterly unreal... Great to check out for anyone who's certified.

I know there are quite a few ex-navy Americans here as well as other people knowledgeable about such things so I figured I'd post my questions here. First of all, how do the SEALs operate once on land if they're in a cold water environment? Carrying military gear must be tough enough as is, but I can't imagine trying to conduct operations properly while wearing a 36lbs of lead, a drysuit, a bunch of neoprene, and a BCD. Do they leave it at their exit point and then suit back up after completion of their operation? What if they need to get out in a hurry? It takes a fair amount of time to suit up, especially in pitch black when you're being shot at.

Also, does anyone know what gear/brands they wear specifically? I remember seeing something about the SEALs using those very cool Oceanic-brand masks with the built-in computer display. Neat to see. Also, how common is it for them to conduct operations via scuba? I suppose most of their stuff is land-based in Iraq and Afghanistan, but it seems the scuba element is what they're very famous for.

Anyway, would be great to get some answers and even here some interesting stories/facts.

I hope there aren't any prior SEALs that answer this, because then they will have to kill us all. :D
Seriously tho' you probably won't get detailed answers for current tactics and operational procedure. The previous post is close to what I would expect to be correct for extraction. I have read an account of one operation where s**t hit the proverbial fan and the team swam 4 miles out to the boat.
I have made the aquaintance of a few SEALs while I was in the Navy, and all of the above queries are something they just didn't talk about. They tended to be a very quiet and humble guys who weren't braggarts or outwardly boisterous. With that said they can party hardy with the best of them and are VERY competitive in anything they do. Not the answers I know you were looking for, but; it's my experience of what you're probably gonna run into. :)

I am a 25 year U.S. Navy veteran and worked with SEALs for about half my career, I am however not one nor would I ever claim to be. If you were to meet one on the street you wouldn't know it because they don't brag, they are for the most part low profile and humble. They are also... You decide. I am in my boat 5 miles out off an island in the Pacific fishing, I see two guys in the water, no boat around, so I motor over to provide assistance, they said they were okay and didn't need any assistance, I asked "SEALs", they said "Yes" I said "Later" and motored off. We also had a SEAL contingent in our office that used to run to and from work every day, He lived in Kaneohe we worked in Pearl Harbor. These are dedicated professionals, they do it all. Many have given their lives in operations you have never heard of, doing things that boggle the mind. May I suggest you read "Lone Survivor", the true story of the last surviving member of a SEAL team in Afganistan. Instead of this big tear fest over the likes of Michael Jackson we should celebrate and honor the likes of these men.

I am a 25 year U.S. Navy veteran and worked with SEALs for about half my career, I am however not one nor would I ever claim to be. If you were to meet one on the street you wouldn't know it because they don't brag, they are for the most part low profile and humble. They are also... You decide. I am in my boat 5 miles out off an island in the Pacific fishing, I see two guys in the water, no boat around, so I motor over to provide assistance, they said they were okay and didn't need any assistance, I asked "SEALs", they said "Yes" I said "Later" and motored off. We also had a SEAL contingent in our office that used to run to and from work every day, He lived in Kaneohe we worked in Pearl Harbor. These are dedicated professionals, they do it all. Many have given their lives in operations you have never heard of, doing things that boggle the mind. May I suggest you read "Lone Survivor", the true story of the last surviving member of a SEAL team in Afganistan. Instead of this big tear fest over the likes of Michael Jackson we should celebrate and honor the likes of these men.
2 out of 2 personal experiences with similar results. I bet the majority of reports will be the same. :wink:

Seals don't talk about "being SEALS"

I know several and you would never know what they do.

In general they are a great bunch of guys!

There is an ex-navy SEAL (although I know they are never "ex") that works as a veterinarian for my father. If you met this man in a grocery store, he is the LAST person you would expect to be a past SEAL. Every now and then he tells some stories over the operating table, and they are crazy stories. He was a SEAL during the Vietnam war. I can't imagine what he has seen or done.

I can not go into much detail due to OPSEC. Everything is mission specific though. The operation will dictate what gear we take and what is done with it. Just leaving gear is not practical though.

There is a running joke in the Teams right now that the reserve SEAL Teams are the only Teams that do any diving anymore (because of the land-locked situations) in the Mid-East while there are still some diving requirements in the area. Again wil not get specific.

As for gear it is usually left up to the operator for personal choices. Our gear budgets are funded not by the Department of Defence like the regular military but by Special Operations Command (SOCOM) which gives us much more financial backing to do what we want with. Gets us all the goodies. :D

Again I can't go into too many specifics. While I am no longer active duty in the Teams, I was in the past (not TOO long ago :D ). It's not all classified stuff but no need to get specific about most of it.

While it will not answer your questions regarding cold water diving and gear choices, if you want a glimpse into Navy Seal training and an amazing story you should read Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell. It's an amazing story and the early portions of the book give insight into just how intense seal training is. Lone Survivor, Marcus Luttrell, Book - Barnes & Noble

I can not recommend "Lone Survivor" enough. I fiished it it one day and it is one of the best books I have ever read. I am not ashamed to say I shed amore than a few tears reading that book and could not help but wonder where our country would be without men like this. I do serve in the Air Force Reserve, but even I have to bow humbly to these guys.

John Dockery has written several books on SEALs and they are a great read for the information in them.

I also agree with Doubler on the whole Michael Jackson issue. I can not tell you how many times I would be sitting somewhere with a TV on and MJ would come on the tube. Someone almost always says what a shame he was soo talented.

I just want to scream at the top of my lungs "HE WAS A CHILD PREDATOR, WHO CARES IF HE IS DEAD GOOD RIDDANCE."

But that would be uncaring.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom