Questions about the Razor and the transfilling process

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bkotheimer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just built a 13cf pony bottle using the Razor and an Mares MV octo and I have a few questions about using the transfiller....

This thread
answers one of my questions -- fill with the valve closed. But this means I can't read the HP gauge that I have installed. I do not have a burst disc and would like to keep an eye on the PSI.

(1.) So first of all, can you only fill a tank to the same (or lower - see #2 below) PSI as the tank from which you're filling it, regardless of the relative sizes of the two tanks? It seems that that would be the case. So a "host" tank with 3000 PSI is not going to fill the pony bottle beyond 3000 PSI because once the tanks are equalized, air transfer will stop. Right? The check valve on the Razor is going to shut off at this point, right?

(2.) So actually, as I'm doing this, am I using about a 6th (1/6.15) of my AL80 to fill my AL13 pony tank (assuming a theoretically empty pony when I start)? And does this mean that the pressure in both tanks is going to equalize out to only 2512 PSI? Do I need to top off the AL80 again to be able to cram more air into the AL13 using the transfiller?

(3.) Finally, a bonus question... Was I supposed to treat the O-ring on the Razor in any way before screwing it onto the tank, and is "extremely hand-tight" going to be correctly tightened?

Thanks for any and all advice -

bk

Yes. They will equalize to match each other, then the check valve will close.

Yes. 2500 sounds about right.

Some people like to lube their valve neck o-rings, very lightly I might add. It's generally not a big deal, as it's a static o-ring. Handtight is good, it's the o-ring, NOT the tightness of the connection that makes the seal.

One more point. The fill fitting on the Razor is actually the same as on a paintball air tank. If your dive shop also fills air for paintballers (mine does) you dont even need a transfilling whip, or special fill adaptor, just have them hook up the paintball whip and fill it right off the banks.

Jim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom