Questions about Sogod Bay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scottfiji

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
hello, I considering going to sogod bay in the phillipines next month (february), but I don't know much about it..

any recommendations where to stay? how is the diving? what is there to see?

I'm looking for a way to get in a lot of diving at a good price. a place with good shore diving would be nice.

please let me know which hotels/dive ops you liked or didn't like and why if possible..

I will also search old threads for info..

thanks in advance for the help! if you ever want to come to LA, I'll show you the diving there :)

Scott

btw, if anyone has other recommendation for great places to dive around cebu that aren't too hard to get to, i'd love to hear them..

scott

Sorry Scott, I don't know too much about Sogod, other than Whale sharks and Manta's coming through in spring.
My wife and I are going to be in Cebu Feb. 9-15. There is good diving around there I'm told, otherwise there is Bohol, Panglao Is. a short fast-ferry ride away.
Ocean Jet
Welcome to Flower Garden Resort
ENJOY!!!

Can't help you much - yet. I'm going to Sogod myself in late Feb, but seeing as I have not been there yet... Hopefully a few of the others will drop in soon.

As for other places, if you like Macro, you can check out Cabilao, Polaris or Le Estrella for place to stay.

Dauin (Dumaguete) has good shore diving.

there are two very good shore diving sites rights in front of sogod bay dive resort. one is voltaire's rock and the other is max' climax. the padre burgos pier dive is also done from the shore but you will have to make a short land trip there. vehicle is provided by the resort.

as for cebu. nearest dive sites will be in mactan. about 30 minutes away from the city. check with liquid assets or scubaworld. you can also opt to take the fast ferry to bohol even just for a two to three dive daytrip.

i guess you could. didnt try it though. but the waves seemed to be strong in the afternoons. the sites can be deep too although there should be enough corals for snorkelling in the shallows. voltaire's rock goes well beyond 100ft deep. max climax has a wall thats deep too.

ninja edit: dove voltaire's early morning. the place was filled with jellyfish. they were floating or snagged in the corals. better wear a suit or rashguard

Hi Scott

Stayed at SBSR last March and we are going back in July this year. We had a great time - just see my thread on it - you should be able to get there through my public profile? You can snorkel in front of the resort, but as Jigo says, the waves can be strong - shouldn't be a prob if you are at all proficient at it though. The vis was not the best right in front of the resort for snorkelling, due to the currents and waves, but there are plenty of bommies and fish. No "gardens though". The dives right in front of the resort are quite good, with a small wreck too - Peters original dive boat. The ones in front of the resort are shore entry. The other divesites are all pretty damn good, the ones we liked best were Napantao and Turtle Rock. Have a fab time! You should see whalesharks if you go on the trip - pretty much guaranteed.

Jeff

Hi Scott,

I also went and stayed at Sogod Bay Scuba Resort, Philippines » Home following a very nice recommendation from Jeff. I was there in the first week of Dec and although the weather wasnt great, I still had a fantastic time. It is a very small resort with only 5 rooms (10 beds) although the owners Ron and Phil can find additional local accomm if needed. As such it is very homely and very personal.

The diving can only be described as awesome - provided you dont mind the lack of any big stuff - ie sharks (whalesharks excepted if your lucky). The corals and fishlife are truly wonderful, and your guide Pedro will spot all sorts of little critters.

The boatboys cant do enough for you and I didnt carry anything heavier than my camera all week.

The little restaurant is very nice with good food albeit a little Westernised - and very cheap.

I enjoyed it so much I'm going back again in April, this time with my wife and 2 sons. Be warned there is very little to do other than diving, so dont expect a full blown holiday resort!

Enjoy yourself - they really are all very friendly people.

Phil

by copy to Jeff - thanks for the recommendations!

Back
Top Bottom