Questions About Gopro Dris & Mako Light Trays?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flybigjet

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Greetings all--

A little help?

I'm looking for an inexpensive light tray for a GoPro Hero4 Silver w/ underwater housing. I've got three that I'm considering; the DRIS "In-Line", DRIS "Boomerang" and Mako "Transformer". I'll be using it with two Mako 890 lumen floods (best bang for the buck that I've found).

Major thoughts are pricepoint, ease of use (this is a "jump in and go" application), and very importantly, ease of travel-- i.e. how it disassembles/weighs to get if from Denver to Roatan and Truk/Palau.

The Mako is the cheapest, and I'm honestly leaning that direction, unless someone has a good reason not to-- although it is probably the hardest to disassemble for transportation.

The In-Line looks very nice, but is much more expensive than the Mako.

I like the Boomerang the best, but it's the most expensive of the lot, over $100 more.

One of my dive friends recommended that I skip the In-Line and go with either the Transformer or Boomerang because both push the GoPro out in relation to the hand grips-- so you won't see hands in your video.

Here are the links for comparison purposes--

In-Line ($169):
In-Line GoPro Light Tray

Boomerang ($229):
Boomerang GoPro Light Tray

Transformer ($120)
Two Handle Camera Tray | MAKO Spearguns

Since cost is a factor, is there something I'm missing to justify the additional cost?

Thanks!

R.

Greetings all--

A little help?

I'm looking for an inexpensive light tray for a GoPro Hero4 Silver w/ underwater housing. I've got three that I'm considering; the DRIS "In-Line", DRIS "Boomerang" and Mako "Transformer". I'll be using it with two Mako 890 lumen floods (best bang for the buck that I've found).

Major thoughts are pricepoint, ease of use (this is a "jump in and go" application), and very importantly, ease of travel-- i.e. how it disassembles/weighs to get if from Denver to Roatan and Truk/Palau.

The Mako is the cheapest, and I'm honestly leaning that direction, unless someone has a good reason not to-- although it is probably the hardest to disassemble for transportation.

The In-Line looks very nice, but is much more expensive than the Mako.

I like the Boomerang the best, but it's the most expensive of the lot, over $100 more.

One of my dive friends recommended that I skip the In-Line and go with either the Transformer or Boomerang because both push the GoPro out in relation to the hand grips-- so you won't see hands in your video.

Here are the links for comparison purposes--

In-Line ($169):
In-Line GoPro Light Tray

Boomerang ($229):
Boomerang GoPro Light Tray

Transformer ($120)
Two Handle Camera Tray | MAKO Spearguns

Since cost is a factor, is there something I'm missing to justify the additional cost?

Thanks!

R.

mako-spearguns-buy-direct.jpg

There is one thing you should consider when looking at my product line. Look at the two alternate business models.

The upper one, shows our products being routed to Dano (myself) and then DIRECTLY to the consumer.

The lower distribution chain is more typical of how most dive dive gear is marketed - it has a lot more steps (intermediaries) between the manufacturer and the diver. Each "step" represents an entity with overhead to cover (in other words with his hand out).

Don't be surprised when the MAKO DIRECT price is far lower than similar products.

Thanks!

Dano

Thanks, Dano-- but you didn't really discuss the major point I'm curious on; how easily it disassembles; the DRIS offering seems to be more compact, which would mean fewer pieces, less weight, etc.

I live in a landlocked state. Ease of travel is pretty much the be-all end-all of my decision making process.

Cheers-

R.

I've seen the Boomerang tray and have a few friends who have it. Its a nice tray, I'm thinking of getting one for myself. Have you called DRIS? They are pretty straightforward and can tell you more about it.

I've seen the Boomerang tray and have a few friends who have it. Its a nice tray, I'm thinking of getting one for myself. Have you called DRIS? They are pretty straightforward and can tell you more about it.
That's an option, and I suppose I'll do that eventually, but I was sort of hoping for feedback from people who've used one or the other.

R.

Thanks, Dano-- but you didn't really discuss the major point I'm curious on; how easily it disassembles; the DRIS offering seems to be more compact, which would mean fewer pieces, less weight, etc.

I live in a landlocked state. Ease of travel is pretty much the be-all end-all of my decision making process.

Cheers-

R.

It is really pretty compact, even with both light arms. You would want to remove the lights from the clamps for travel, but it should lay flat in luggage. If you should need to actually disassemble it, all you would need is a screw driver and a few minutes.

Also the issue about seeing your hands in the video is not an issue with our tray system. Sorry I missed your original question.

Not sure if you saw this video, but it shows how the sand legs retract and extend etc. Possibly it will answer a few questions.

Thanks
Dano

Back
Top Bottom