questions about food alternatives on Cayman Brac

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jackiesr

Reaction score
My husband and I are going to be on Cayman Brac, staying at the Brac Reef. However, we are thinking of not get the 3 meals per day for the large sum of $70 per day per person. Are there cheaper alternatives for breakfast and dinner within walking distance?

Thanks

It depends where you are staying. If you are in a condo, then yes there are a couple of grocery stores, but you would need a vehichle. If you are staying at BRBR then I'm not sure, although I've stayed there, I've never bought their pkg. If you are at the Divi, then I can tell you that I have purchased pkgs that are not 3 meals a-day, I've gotten a specific number of brkfast and dinner w/ no lunch. I will also tell you that if you are staying at the Divi or BRBR Iv'e met people that were happy with the all inclusive type of idea.
Within walking distance from the BRBR is the Divi and if you are a long distance walker then maybe the "Captains table", otherwise you will need a vehicle. There was a local restaurant that the hurricane trashed near the turn off road to the airport (Aunt Shea's) There are no other restaurants near where you are at, this is not like GC or Bonaire, it's allot lot quieter. For a minimun rate__? (forgot the price and can't remember the name of the business) you can rent a scooter from behind the Divi on the other side of the road. You'll need a vehicle to explore any part of the Brac anyway to see sites like the caves, the bluff, the public beach and to watch the sun go down over Little Cayman at the end of the road that you are staying next to. You could ride a bike but sometimes it's hot!
There are very few restaurants to choose from some that are on the other side of the island are G&M dinner, and the LaEsperanza, where you are at will be as good as any of these local spots.

Hope this isn't too much info...
Dive Safe,
Caymaniac

caymaniac:
It depends where you are staying.

They said the BRBR, which is the place that's furthest away from anything.

...there are a couple of grocery stores, but you would need a vehicle.

IIRC, most will send over a car for you. Personally, I like Billy's.

I will also tell you that if you are staying at the Divi or BRBR Iv'e met people that were happy with the all inclusive type of idea.

My general recommendation for first-timers is to buy some sort of meal package (and that the ones with booze may be overpriced) so that they can case out the island.

Within walking distance from the BRBR is the Divi and if you are a long distance walker then maybe the "Captains table", otherwise you will need a vehicle.

And the Divi won't be any cheaper. If you decided to get a cheap rental car, its $30/day from DDDD's (phone# 345-948-1599) or B&H (345-948- )...same place that has the scooters.

You'll need a vehicle to explore any part of the Brac anyway to see sites like the caves, the bluff, the public beach and to watch the sun go down over Little Cayman at the end of the road that you are staying next to. You could ride a bike but sometimes it's hot!

Riding on 1-speed bikes taxes ones age :) Pedalling to Rebecca's cave isn't too bad, but the Bat Cave is a workout. If you try an island circumnaviation, although there's water to be found at Public Beach and in the Stake Bay municipal building, carry your own water.

Going down to the West End (past BRBR) for sunset is a reasonable walk from both the BRBR and the Divi IMO...the only time we take the rental car is when we realize at the last minute that its going to be a good one :)

There are very few restaurants to choose from some that are on the other side of the island are G&M dinner, and the LaEsperanza, where you are at will be as good as any of these local spots.

Agreed. And while you can get a taxi to most of these places, they run on "Island" schedule, which will drive non-Southerners nuts. Especially for breakfast and lunch, you'll need to decide if its worth missing a diveboat because you're trying to save a few bucks on food.

-hh

jackiesr:
My husband and I are going to be on Cayman Brac, staying at the Brac Reef. However, we are thinking of not get the 3 meals per day for the large sum of $70 per day per person. Are there cheaper alternatives for breakfast and dinner within walking distance?

Thanks

Got to be honest here, I'd go with the package.

Nearest for dinner would be the Captains Table (not cheap when I was last there), not a bad walk. Without a car you're pretty much sunk I think for breakfast , assuming you dive am and pm. So figure the cost of the car in and you'll be as well staying at the BR.

I did it on a pay as you go basis and I didn't think it was too bad. we certainly didn't include booze in it as we were diving, and it didn't work out sensible to pay for booze we couldn;t drink.

Hope that helps.

Hoppy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom