questions about diving and transportation in Isla Mujeres

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

raviepoo

Contributor
Reaction score
in exile in the Pennsyltucky Archipellago
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a few questions about Isla Mujeres. I have an opportunity to stay at Avalon Reef Club without putting out any money. I've been looking for info on the web and haven't found anything.

Is there shore diving on the island?

Has anyone stayed at the Avalon Reef Club? Is it a nice place?

The Avalon Reef resort website says that they offer scuba diving. What is the dive op? Do they allow you to take a tank and divee right off the beach?

Is there transportation between Isla Mujeres and Cozumel?

The diving on Isla Mujeres is all boat diving. It's been about 4 yrs but as I remember it, the reefs were nice, lots of small tropicals and nice coral. Nothing deep, most dives are 40'-65ft. We've been to Isla 4 times and stayed at Cristalmar, which is mid-island toward the south end. There was a dive shop (ok, dive beach hut) with a really good DM so we used him.

The shops I remember seeing in town were Mundaca Divers, Delfin Diving and and Sea Hawk Divers.

Avalon has been very contraversial on the island. Isla has gotten a lot more developed over the last 5 yrs but it's still managed to remain a somewhat sleepy relaxed island when the Cancun daytrippers go home. A time share resort was very out of step.

It's a fun island. A good variety of restauarants and bars. Nice beaches etc. Avalon is at the tip of Playa Norte which is the main beach. It doesn't really have beach right the resort though. It's pretty rocky there with a strong current. But, just a short walk over a bridge to the beach.

Check out www.isla-mujeres.net and www.myislamujeres.com for lots of info on the island. I don't remember any direct ferries from Isla to Coz. I think you'll have to go back on the ferry to Cancun and then to Playa for the ferry to Coz.

Just to add two ideas:

You may want to look at El Garafon National Park on the far tip of Isla Mujeres.

There is a really cool day / eco trip that goes from Isla Mujeres to Isla Contoy. The boar ride is about an hour each way but on the way to Isla Contoy the boat stops to allow snorkel or scuba opportunities for about 20-30 minutes.

I have snorkeled on Isla Contoy but have not tried scuba there. Do a search, it may be a fun day trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom