Questions about Canon S100 FIX Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kryssa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
These may be silly questions, but I'm upgrading from the standard Canon housing...

1. If I'm just using the camera's onboard flash with the diffuser, do I keep the black plastic flash cover off? The piece I'm talking about has 2 holes in it, presumable for a strobe cable.

2. Is there a better place to attach the diffuser leash then the same place I attach the wrist leash? The diffuser leash seems just barely long enough for this distance so I'm wondering if there is a spot on the housing for it that I'm missing.

Any other tips? Planning to splash with this house for the first time Sunday in St. Croix.

Thanks!

No question is a silly question, so don't ever feel that ... I've asked a few in my time too ...

So, hope that this will help you and congratulations on getting a FIX housing, you won't regret it, I absolutely loved using mine. Access to all the controls is so much easier compared to the Canon housing I used to have.

If you use your camera's built-in flash with your new housing, you may end up with shadow on your subject. The black plastic flash cover is for use with an external strobe and you are right in thinking that those 2 holes are for 2 strobes cables to be attached to your housing. With your Canon housing, there was a white diffuser which softened the camera's inbuilt flash and highlights your subject really well as long as you are within a foot of it.

This is really a superb housing and you won't regret getting it. Look forward to seeing your photos.

All the best,

Maria

So I should leave the black piece off if I'm using the camera's flash?

Any idea about the best diffuser leash attachment point?

Thank you!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

So I should leave the black piece off if I'm using the camera's flash?

Any idea about the best diffuser leash attachment point?

Thank you!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I just bought a FIX S100 housing as well, but going to use it with an external strobe. For the FIX's diffuser attachment, there are small notches in the lens port that should allow the diffuser to attach. THere are small notches in the diffuser that should line up with the small slots on the lens port. Just be sure and connect the wire so you won't lose it if it comes off.

My only nag was as there are two holes for the strobe cable, if you are using only one strobe, you will get some light leak from the other hole and potential back scatter. I haven't used mine underwater yet, so am not sure if that's true. They should have provided some sort plugs to block an unused hole. I will be attaching my diffuser on the housing to try and minimize that effect.

You should consider getting a strobe as your pictures will improve immensly with it. I used an inexpensive Sealife SL960D on my old rig (Canon A630) and noticed huge improvements even with that cheap strobe. I upgraded my strobe also with this setup and chose the Sea & Sea YSD1 (which is not cheap). But I figured if I was going to do this upgrade, I was going to do it right.

---------- Post added March 13th, 2013 at 06:27 PM ----------

If you are using the camera flash, then you probably should remove the flash cover. However, to Maria's point earlier, you might get a shadow. The diffuser might help a little with that.

I could not find a good point to attach the lanyard for the diffuser, so I just put it around the lens port. Fairly safe, but could still come off. I was also annoyed that there was not a good spot to attach it.

Two recent trips with the FIX 100 and an external strobe. No light "leak" noticed. If I did notice anything, that's what duck tape is for. :) When I did use the camera built-in flash without the diffuser I ruined the shot. A black shadow on the corner of the pic was evident. I was dumb not to use the diffuser. If I ever again only want to use my camera built-in flash, I'll remember the diffuser.

Rob

Hi Kryssa,

Sorry for not being able to reply faster ... yes you should leave the black diffuser off as the light from your camera's built-in flash wouldn't be able to shine through to light your subject. But you could use a simple torch instead, except for those shier subjects like sea horses where the light might damage their eyes.

Good luck and look forward to hearing how you get on.

All the best,

Maria

I'd just leave it in your hotel...you won't lose it...better yet get an external strobe...use CHDK and use either the TTL script or force your aperature and shutter speeds with CHDK...this way you can use ttl strobe...you'll find you are really handicapped using a good set up like the S100 and FIX housing without an external strobe

Having lived in STX for a few years....see if you can vary your diving....Salt River, Cane Bay (great shore dives as well)...and go out of your way to hit Fredrickstead....(Butler Bay and the pier at night (just don't keep ANYTHING in your car and leave it open unlocked))

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom