Questions about Cabo over Christmas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mountainsean

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm headed to Cabo (actually just outside of San Jose Del Cabo, not Cabo San Lucas) over the Christmas holiday. I'm looking for suggestions on good dives and recommendations for dive ops. From a search of the forums people seem pretty positive on Baja Dive, Manta Scuba, and Nautilus DiveTech. Any change there or are these still considered the best shops? As for dives, I'll probably have 4 days available and would like to hit a good variety. I've been to Cozumel for the last 3 years so I'll be game for a change of scenery and would love to see some bigger pelagics - any good shark dives? That's not to say I don't like a good reef or wall dive though - definitely open to any suggestions for "can't miss" sites. Are Gordo Banks and Cabo Pulmo on the can't miss list?

Lastly, I hear the water is pretty chilly in Dec. I dove with a 5mm in Coz in December (78 degree temps typically) and was ok. Should I expect low 70's or high 60's? If so I think I'll probably need a 7mm.

Thanks,
Sean

Hi Sean, I'm a divemaster and I did a dive trip in Cabo last year. The best diveshop in Cabo is by far Nautilus DiveTech. They have the best facilities and best air quality in Cabo. As for the conditions, it will be cold and visibility will be limited.. its very different from Cozumel.

The local dives in Cabo itself are very average, if you can check to go to the Corridor.
Gordo Banks is your best chance to see hammerhead sharks.. but the visibility is suppose to be **** in the winter.
LaPaz is a good place to do some local dives.

I'm headed to Cabo (actually just outside of San Jose Del Cabo, not Cabo San Lucas) over the Christmas holiday. I'm looking for suggestions on good dives and recommendations for dive ops. From a search of the forums people seem pretty positive on Baja Dive, Manta Scuba, and Nautilus DiveTech. Any change there or are these still considered the best shops? As for dives, I'll probably have 4 days available and would like to hit a good variety. I've been to Cozumel for the last 3 years so I'll be game for a change of scenery and would love to see some bigger pelagics - any good shark dives? That's not to say I don't like a good reef or wall dive though - definitely open to any suggestions for "can't miss" sites. Are Gordo Banks and Cabo Pulmo on the can't miss list?

Lastly, I hear the water is pretty chilly in Dec. I dove with a 5mm in Coz in December (78 degree temps typically) and was ok. Should I expect low 70's or high 60's? If so I think I'll probably need a 7mm.

Thanks,
Sean

Hello Sean,

This may come a little late but there is a new dive shop in San Jose del Cabo called "East Cape Explorers". As far as I know there are the only dive shop in San Jose del Cabo and opened doors just a few month ago. Scuba Diving, Whale Watching and Snorkeling Tours in San Jose del Cabo | The One & Only Dive Shop in San Jose del Cabo

Hope this helps.

Hi Sean

My name is Charlotte I am the owner of Baja Dive here in Cabo. The water temps are still pretty good at the moment sitting at about 72 degrees, most people are still diving in 5mm but if you get cold easily I would recommend bringing your 7mm. The visibilty also hasn't been too bad today we had about 40ft on the dives.

Unfortunately Gordo Banks is out of season and if you did get to go there, there is not much chance that you will see hammerheads and we don't really have any other shark dives in Cabo, you may want to try over in La Paz.

La Paz and Cabo Pulmo this time of year is starting to get the winds there and the visibility will be dropping but that does bring in the whale sharks and of course the whales.

Anyway drop me an email if you have any questions about diving, we take out small groups and always have fun.

Regards

Can you tell me your water temps in September? Is there any thermocline?

Dave

Back
Top Bottom