Questions about Blackbeard liveaboard Bahamas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dmoore19

Denizen of the PUB
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am thinking about a trip in Mid March and 6 nights with Black Beard. The trip looks like good price but I am curious about Black Beards. The trip includes airfare, 2 nights in Nassau, (one going and one returning), and it looks like a good deal. I know it will be bunk style sleeping, I will be by myself (wife is a non-diver and will be going to Alaska to see her son). I want to experience a live aboard and get in some diving. Any comments about the operation that would be helpful to me? Is it a good trip? Thanks for your comments.

Has anybody gone on one of these trips? Any comments at all?

Blackbeard has liveaboards that begin in Freeport or Nassau. Any recommendations for either city?

I went with a group from my club a couple of years ago. It was a great trip and great value. Accomodation is bunk style and some of the berths are better than others. I was in the very front and it was rather cramped. The food was good and there was plenty of it but that could be a variable based on the cook, ours was great.

Good diving, good company and it made for a fun time, I would certainly go back.

I have been on Blackbeard's twice when they were going out of Freeport. I was on the "Pirate's Lady" both times. The first time there was only 9 of us (8 divers & 1 non- diver). It was not too bad on that trip, not too crowded or anything. The second trip the boat was full (24 passengers). That was crowded, but I just made the best of it. The boats now leave out of Nassau. I have been on the Cat Ppalu out of Nassau (also owned by the same company). I would assume the sailboats will do a similar itinerary. The diving was decent at 3- 4 dives a day, the sites were typical for the Bahamas. The trips are basically what you make of them. If you're determined to have a good time, you will, if you want to be miserable, you will. Everyone I've ever met on these trips have always been the best. Like- minded, adventurous people who want to dive.

The one I am looking at is out of Nassau. It seems to be a good price. I just wanted to ask the folks here on scubaboard about their thoughts. I appreciate the comments I think I may have to go make the down payment on it this weekend. If I do I will be doing backflips and acting much younger from now til March. I love the anticipation almost as much as the actual trip! I am not very well traveled I have only been out of country 4 times in my life. 2 of them were dive trips. Thanks again for peoples comments and I look forward to more.

Tstormdiver, what do you mean by typical Bahamas sites? I have been to Cozumel and Roatan. Both were wonderful but they were different.

I believe they all go out of Nassau now. They may keep 1 boat in Freeport, but I think it is dedicated to Boy Scout trips. As for my comments on "typical Bahamas" environment, the dive sites, especially, in & around the populated areas show signs of being "over- dove" (reef damage & such). You will likely see all the "regular cast" of critters common to the Caribbean. I am not saying it is bad,... Just that I have done 6 diving trips to the Bahamas in the last several years & after some of the places I've dove recently (Malaysia (Sipadan) last year & just got back from the Galapagos), the Bahamas just can't hold a candle to them. Its all in perspective, I guess. The shark dives are kind of cool, but once you've seen it once, you have pretty much seen it all. It is generally easy diving, nothing too advanced, that I've ever seen. For the March time frame, you'll probably want to look at a 5mm wetsuit in the least, especially if you tend to get cold easily. The waters will still be quite cool at that time. I dove the very southern Bahamas (San Salvador area) a few years ago in late April & a 3mm was almost not enough.

I believe they all go out of Nassau now. They may keep 1 boat in Freeport, but I think it is dedicated to Boy Scout trips. As for my comments on "typical Bahamas" environment, the dive sites, especially, in & around the populated areas show signs of being "over- dove" (reef damage & such). You will likely see all the "regular cast" of critters common to the Caribbean. I am not saying it is bad,... Just that I have done 6 diving trips to the Bahamas in the last several years & after some of the places I've dove recently (Malaysia (Sipadan) last year & just got back from the Galapagos), the Bahamas just can't hold a candle to them. Its all in perspective, I guess. The shark dives are kind of cool, but once you've seen it once, you have pretty much seen it all. It is generally easy diving, nothing too advanced, that I've ever seen. For the March time frame, you'll probably want to look at a 5mm wetsuit in the least, especially if you tend to get cold easily. The waters will still be quite cool at that time. I dove the very southern Bahamas (San Salvador area) a few years ago in late April & a 3mm was almost not enough.

Thanks for the input. As you can see from my profile I am not a overly experienced diver, I have only been to Cozumel and Roatan so it will be a new experience for me. I haven't even been to the Bahamas so even that will be a great experience. Thanks again for your help.

Back
Top Bottom