question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wyman101

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Has anyone had any dealings with liveaboards in late Sep, early Oct. Looking for 5+ days of diving, Nitrox.. I will prob be staying in Patong Beach, so any info on good cheap hotels would also be great, this will

September/Early October is just before the wind changes, and therefor a period that the seas may be rough.
Most of the liveaboard boats won't be going in that period, there are just a couple of boats still going to the Similans. That means: quiet diving, but you do run the risk that the trip will be cancelled due to bad weather.

I have dove out of season in the Similaans and it was terrible.

Conditions were crap and we didn't see anything.

The theory was that with the water being rough on the surface everything goes deeper.

You could have been uinlucky. Last low season we made quite some trips, only 2 of the planned trips were cancelled because of the weather conditions. The diving was ok on the trips, with a visibility of around 15 meters and lots of marine life, especially on the more sheltered East Coast.
Nothing special like manta rays though.

To be honest, late September/early October has been the worst weather for the last 2 years and we have had cancelled trips. The weather in the summer (June - August) is often pretty good, but you can't count on it. I've been to Similan in August and had great diving. If you're coming at that time of year, then wait and see. If any liveaboards are planning trips, they are unlikely to be full, so late booking is normally possible. You can get here, check out the weather and make a decision.

Phuket Weather

Steven,

I think you are the only person on all the boards who continues to encourage people to take a boat trip on a sea during its monsoon season.

Yes, maybe, but the guests are very happy with the trips they are making. Agree with Sunrise that there is normally not much point in making ahead bookings, but the diving can be very nice, and it is really beautiful and quiet at the Similans then.

The divers just have to realise, that maybe the trip will be cancelled, but as mentioned, that does not happen that often.

I only dove once out of season in the Similans in middle of October. Sea was a bit rougher but we lucked out as we got there just as the rain stopped and left right as the rain started again. Visibility was poorer than during the peak season but it was still pretty decent. It was a bit more crowded than I thought but I guess it was only a few weeks before the traditional November starting of the season.
For me, it was enjoyable but like Burger, I did not see anything I would consider spectacular.

Steven,

Not to make the point too pointedly, I think the only reason you give this advice is for commercial self gain.

I have never heard Sunrise give the same advice, though he does offer suggestions to direct questions.

Hope this post doesn't offend the moderators , as it is only meant as a warning not to believe everything you read.

Hamburger, of course I like to sell diving, no matter what kind.

But I value my good name way too much to give any advice that is not true. And I can be accused of a lot of things, but certainly not of telling things that are not true, and not looking after my people.

There is not one single diving center in Phuket where you will get a personal service like mine, and where you will get anhonest advice like mine.
And yes, that sometimes means telling something else than everybody else is telling, because simply because everybody is saying things for years does not make them true.

So please spare me from accusations like these. Especially without knowing me or following my advice first.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom