Question regarding tank fills

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only way to get a quick (hot) fill in a HP tank is to significantly overfill it (3800-4000) or use a cold water bath.

As mentioned the other option is to leave it and have them fill it and then top it off after it’s cooled.

One of the shops I use regularly in FL has a cold water bath the tanks are filled in plus they fill them to 3700-3800. In about 10 minutes I’ve got an ice cold tank with 3500-3600 psi. They never short fill me. My starting pressure on the boat is always in the 3500-3650 range.

A second shop I use keeps them overnight. They fill them, let them cool and then top them. When I pick them up they always have between 3450-3600. Again, a good solid fill.

Two ways to skin the cat.

Hey! Sounds great. What shops?

Hey! Sounds great. What shops?

The first shop (that uses a cold water bath) is Force-E Riviera Beach & Boca Raton. The second shop is the one I use here in Southwest FL … SCUBAdventures Naples.

I'm surprised that you get that much pressure drop. 3 hrs is a long time. It takes me 20-25 min to fill an empty 3500 with my compressor. I take it to 4K and it usually ends up around 3600 when cooled (still learning though). The tanks (even filling 2 sets of doubles) are noticeably warm. Not hot, but pretty warm.

Before the compressor I told the LDS multiple times they were shorting me.... he said it must be my gauge:) I checked with another and read the same thing. @ $12 / fill you'd think they'd make darn sure it was topped up. 3500 would usually be 3100, but they would hot fill to 3500 and that's it.... not a psi more. I disliked that shop anyway.
Yes, that was interesting to me that we are getting similar results with different fill times.

The first shop (that uses a cold water bath) is Force-E Riviera Beach & Boca Raton. The second shop is the one I use here in Southwest FL … SCUBAdventures Naples.
The Force E fill shop in Pompano Beach also uses a water bath, but I have no idea what that does for HP tanks because I only fill my LP tanks there. (I don't take my HP tanks to Florida when I go.) I always get more gas than advertised, so I don't worry about the LP fills there.

In contrast, I used to use a shop in Pompano Beach that had most of its employees refuse to fill my LP tanks to their rated pressure. They said it was too dangerous. They would hot fill it to about their rated pressure and then let them cool to something less. Ironically, they filled AL tanks with a rated pressure of 3,000 PSI to about 3,300 PSI, evidently feeling that the overfilling made their customers happy. When I dived with them with friends who rented their tanks, I would have the least gas of the group when I was diving with LP 85s and they were diving with AL 80s.

One of the guys who filled their tanks was a cave diver, and when he filled my tanks, it was a different story.

The Force E fill shop in Pompano Beach also uses a water bath, but I have no idea what that does for HP tanks because I only fill my LP tanks there. (I don't take my HP tanks to Florida when I go.) I always get more gas than advertised, so I don't worry about the LP fills there.

The cold water bath helps immensely with filling HP tanks quickly. I use them regularly for HP fills

Thanks. I use Force E, too. Sometimes No Shinanigan’s Dive shop…aiming for 3,400. Seems to be hit or miss (never below 3,000). I will ask them to top it off.

I’ve seen that. Leads to overfilling. I say good! I knew there was a reason I liked it :)

Speaking from experience it probably does. I typically have 3600-3750 once the tank equalizes with the air temp. That’s perfectly fine to me.

If my AL tanks are overfilled I will bleed them down to 3100 or so if I’m not using them right away. My HP steel tanks I have no issue leaving them with 3600-3800.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom