Question regarding searching the forum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LesN

Reaction score
Either I don't know how to use the search or it isn't very powerful. It doesn't appear to recognize when I quote words, looking for a specific phrase. If the search sucks, it is very frustrating trying to find something and leads to more posts on repeat subjects.

Anyone have some input on using the search effectively? Thanks.

Our search is a simple search designed for simple phrases, not boolean operators. We had previously set it to a more advanced mode but it caused problems for people who were not familiar with use of search operators (after all, most people never use them). Hopefully that explains why it is the way it is for you.

You say designed for simple phrases, how do you do that? It would be very helpful. As mentioned quotes don't seem to work.

Also, AFAIK, you cannot have a search term with less than 4 letters. This is IMO a major major problem, but if that's how it is that's how it is.

jonnythan:
Also, AFAIK, you cannot have a search term with less than 4 letters. This is IMO a major major problem, but if that's how it is that's how it is.
you can do it like yap* (seems much less obvious than and/or!)

Damselfish:
You say designed for simple phrases, how do you do that? It would be very helpful. As mentioned quotes don't seem to work.

As I said, we don't support boolean operators, so quotes are just that -- quotes. A simple search would be something like "bcd" or "womens bcd".

For multiple words is the search engine set for 'AND' or a 'OR'? It seems when I do a search with two words it returns posts with either word: not both as intended?

A check box next to the advanced search with 'search for all words' vs 'match any words' would fix it but adds a degree of complexity...

Cheers,
Rohan.

Boolean is all or none with this software and for the reasons I mentioned we have it set to none. Thanks for your understanding.

Tech Admin:
As I said, we don't support boolean operators, so quotes are just that -- quotes. A simple search would be something like "bcd" or "womens bcd".
you said above it's meant to support simple phrases - no, just to clarify it doesn't do phrases at all. The only thing it supports is single words. There is an implicit "OR" in the keyword field. That's not super useful, if you want OR you can always do separate searches. But there's no way I can figure to do AND.

Quotes have nothing to do with booleans. I picked a random phrase "Trident Evolution" - it should only find "Trident Evolution", but will find just plain "Evolution".

Don't understand why having booleans would cause people trouble? If someone doesn't get them, they just won't use them, so wouldn't it be the same as not having them?

Back
Top Bottom